New radiation leaks harmful to health.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake_nuclear_crisis

They're telling people to stay inside. I would think that getting the heck out of dodge would be better, because houses "breathe" too.

So scary. Any thoughts?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:10 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sure your best choice would be to evacuate in the opposite direction the wind is blowing. The next best choice is to stay inside, and I believe I've heard you should put tape on doors and windows to make it as air tight as possible.

I saw the Japanese weather forecast earlier, and they are expecting an East wind for the next day or two (meaning it will be blowing toward Japan instead of out to sea) if there is any contamination in the air. Not good. :-(
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• We are about 200 miles south of the plant and we were just notified we are recieving contamination in our air. BUT it is a tiny amount, we have been told to limit being outside and I really don't think there is much chance of many people actually getting out of Japan! The way transportation is now and I am assuming not nearly as many flights are leaving so they are going to be packed!!! All we can do now is not freak out! Stay calm and do as we are told. They WILL tell us when it has become harmful and they WILL help us in getting somewhere safe.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• The U.S. government won't announce anything that is detrimental until their asses are in a hideout somewhere. I live in Oregon and the last I heard, they were detecting radiation levels over Hawaii. Pretty scary! I work in a pharmacy and people are already starting to panic, buying up plastic sheeting, duct tape, masks, emergency kits, bottled water etc.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/13/fukushima-simple-explanation/

ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 4:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• There is not much else they can say. I would think they'd be trying to evacuate anyone within a much bigger radius.
    I hear the wind is shifting and the radiation could be blowing back to Tokyo.
    Hey! Why don't we build a new reactor in California, preferably on the San Andreas fault?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:41 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Clearly, I am not there and not in the mindset those folks are. I don't think I could just leave knowing the body of a loved one hasn't been found yet. But, I wonder why the people have not yet been brought to the southern portions of the country by the droves. I would have to think I would have just started walking south, IF I were aware of the leakages. Alot of people there have no idea what's going on around them with no power or access to media. And a government sugar coating things.
    And Linda- CA currently has 2 nuclear facilities near the SA fault. So there ya go..................
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would think they'd be trying to evacuate anyone within a much bigger radius.

Ideally, but... Anne Curry was interviewing people this morning. She talked to a group of women in one of the shelters (as in giant, makeshift, temporary tent). They were told they weren't supposed to go outside, but weren't being told anything about what was actually going on or how bad it was. Most of the aid that's gone there hasn't actually gone anywhere yet because they can't get in to distribute it. Same way, they can't get people out, and even if they could, the places to put them are limited. I suspect there are a lot of people within the more dangerous radius that have no idea how bad it is or might get, because even if they were told, there's nothing they can do about it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• The government has set aside $18 billion for new nuclear plants, and Obama wants to spend an additional $36 billion. Federal regulators are reviewing 20 applications to build nuclear plants, and several existing facilities have applied to extend their operating licenses. Perhaps the most vulnerable U.S. plants are the two built on California's Pacific coast near the San Andreas Fault.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/14/congress.nuclear.power/index.html

DUHHHHHHHH

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:01 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Hey! Why don't we build a new reactor in California, preferably on the San Andreas fault?
    ---
    more clear cut evidence of " rocking the debate section"
    lol
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• More evidence of you being a jerk. There is just not an instance where you can't be a jerk, is there?
    I was being a smartass, off the cuff.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2011