Bare butt shown in pictures online..ok or not

I am a photographer and have been going back and forth on this topic. I do take picture nake babies as art but never once show their privates, only butt. All pictures are in no way sexual or posed in a sexual way either. But I have heard of some people taking it over board. I can understand both sides...yes there are sick, gross, nasty people in this world that would look a child in a sexual way and could take that picture and use it. But at the same time, they are amazingly cute, sweet pictures. No mom has asked me not to post them even after I asked two times to be sure. So I am just wondering, is it legal and what do yall think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it's too risky.  It gets my blood boiling to think of some pervert using my childs beautiful pictures like that as "porn".  BUT, on the other hand, they can do that with ANY picture of a child, the child doesn't have to be naked.  I have a private website that our family and close friends can go to and that's where all of our family pictures are.  No one can google it and find us.  I wouldn't allow the pictures to be anywhere else.  My 1 year old has cellulite on her booty.  I got snap happy and took a few pictures of her booty.  No, I won't post those ANYWHERE.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think that side shots are fine but wouldn't show shots from the bottom up. I know that there are even side shots where the profile of a butt cheek is showing in the photos in the OBGYN office :) I think they need to be done with taste in mind but a perv can turn ANYTHING into a bad photo if they want to imagine it - they can do that with kids walking down the street :(
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 12:40 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I guess it is up to the parents. I personally wouldn't let a pic be taken of my kid like that but I don't put down another parent for doing that. It is personal preference I suppose. A way to cover it is to digitally block out the exposed area if it's online? I don't know the legalities of it.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Even if the parents said it was ok I would not post a pic like that of someone's kids. I would worry if it did get into someone's hands would the backlash come back to you in someday.

If you have a personal Book that's not online though I would put those in there where you control who sees it and it stays in your possession.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You'd have to ask the Webmaster if it violates their Terms of Service. Many don't allow it.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• While I think they are very cute pictures and every baby should have one in the baby book, I wouldn't post them on-line, even with parental consent. I think that it could set you up for a potential trouble that you aren't intending and don't need.

I'm sure that you have plenty of other darling photos for your on-line pages. Use those instead.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:26 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Cute but never posted online.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:54 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I am not comfortable with any pics of DD being posted online for anyone to see. I have yet to figure out how to get photographers to stop doing it.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 10:06 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I have many up in my home, but not online!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i wouldn't post any pics of any nudity online, ever. you can state that you will do tasteful 'bare bottom' pics on your website. But unfortunately there are really sick, demented pervs out there that get off on the simplist of innocent pics. It would kill me to think some perv was getting off on my baby's pic. And these cute babies do grow up into adults, i would hate for anyone to be embarrassed later in life by an innocent pic.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2011