Should I let my 3 year old son visit his dad in jail.

My husband went into jail on Tuesday and my son and I are going to see him today do you think it is a good idea to let him do that. My husband is getting out on Wednesday. Hopefully.

Curtsmom

Asked by Curtsmom at 6:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he is getting out wednesday, I would say no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• You do know that you should be able to answer your question yourself. right?

I would not take my 3yr old to jail to see daddy or whoever. and if he comes out on wednesday then why even bother with asking ;) just wait those couple days
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• i totally agree!
    mommyof3101

Answer by mommyof3101 at 7:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• personally i would not take my child to see anyone in jail.
    fl_girl

Answer by fl_girl at 7:38 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• NO, He will associate that place with Daddy for a long time. You don't want that do you?
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I wouldn't. You don't want him thinking daddy=jail, plus you don't want him seeing the other kind of people that are there, which depending on what kind of visitation room they have, he could see a lot.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• i was forced by the courts to take my kids to the prison where my ex husband was and they were three and one at the time and they were terrified first becuz they really didn't know their father and second cuz jail is a scary place i would wait if he is getting out wednesday then its only a couple days. if he doesnt get out wednesday then i would revisit the idea
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Against my husband's wishes my SS was taken to see his bio mother in jail and now everytime he gets mad he says he is going to send whoever made him mad to jail or that he is going to go to jail to see his mother. I don't think ANY child belongs in a jail to visit anyone.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:24 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• When my husband was in jail the first couple times i didn't take my son because i didn't want him to see his dad like that but one time i had to take him cuz i couldn't get a baby sitter it's not traumatizing or anything but it's hard to visit while your trying to get your kid to sit still.
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 12:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

Perfect answer.

Can't your son stay with someone else while you visit?

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2008