Potty training trouble.

my son was born in may of 08 so he will be 3 in 2 months. he is extremely smart, talks in complete sentences, sometimes uses more advanced sentences than i do! he knows that he is a big boy and should be going in the potty but just refuses. when i take his diaper off i try to leave it off but as soon as he has to go he says "mom you should put a diaper on me" so i tell him to go on the potty and he says "no thank you' haha its so frustrating. and he refuses to give up his binkie....it use to be he just used it at night but now its all day. its not effecting his speech at all but i noticed his teeth are starting to push out and i think it is because of the binkie. im trying to get it away from him without traumatizing him. any suggestions to either or both?

lululovexox

Asked by lululovexox at 12:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well my daughter just turned 3 in January and we'd been doing the potty training dance for almost a year if not a little more and she has just recently pretty much gotten the hang of it. She still has trouble at night sometimes. We had her in pull ups for most of the time we were doing potty training and her doctor told me to just put her in underwear because at that point she knew when she needed to go she was just being lazy about using the potty so she would go ahead and pee the pull up. So we put her in underwear and lo and behold she started going into the bathroom when she felt she needed to go. I'm sure it has to do with the fact she doesn't like feeling wet and what not. Also maybe try the cheerios in the toilet trick that I've heard about for little boys. You put some cheerios in the toilet and show him to aim for them and see if he can get them. Lol. As for the binky we got my daughter off that around 1 1/2 years old
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 1:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• continued...we just started slowly taking it away. She used to have it all the time but then we started only giving it to her at nap time and bedtime. Then after a little bit we would only give it to her at bedtime and a little after that not at all and she seemed to do fine. I think there were a rough couple of nights but it wasn't too bad. My brother-in-law just cold turkeyed it with my niece so whichever. Lol. GL momma. Hope this helps a little bit.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 1:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My daughter didn't have any interest in the potty until she was almost 3. One day she just decided that she wanted to use the potty. As for the pacifier, our dentist said that they want children completely off the pacifier by age 4.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I don't think the teeth are anything to worry about until the permanent teeth come in but some suggestions I've heard for that is to cut a hole in the pacifier & it isn't as comfy for them. When they ask about it, tell them it is broken & must be thrown away. I wouldn't stress over the potty training as it is just going to frustrate you more than anything. Have you ever tried leaving the diaper off when he asks you to put one on when he has to go? Does he go ahead & pee down his leg or anything? I know some kids don't like to be dirty so maybe that will motivate him to use the potty. I gave my son small treats when he was 1st starting out - animal cracker, 1 m&m, etc -change it up so they don't get hooked on 1 thing
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• get him out of diapers completely during the day rather it be training pants or the such and he will learn that is what we did
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2011