I woke up pondering something this morning... I'm not at all religious but I'm always saying things like "Thank God" and "Oh my Lord". Is this strange?

Jess6700

Asked by Jess6700 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think it's strange. I say "for Pete's sake" a lot and I don't even know a Pete! :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 11:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I don't think it's strange. We grow up hearing adults use those terms and eventually start to use them too. For the most part they don't have much to do with being religious. I mean yeah, when you say "thank God" you're really thankful usually. But not everyone who uses the term is religious.

*shrugs* Not strange at all.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I don't think so. (well personally I don't believe in religion) but 99% of the world believes in some sort of higher being.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Not strange, its learned behavior...comes from habit. Humans are very habitual creatures.
    SensualScents

Answer by SensualScents at 10:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• LOL! Too funny deadheadjen
    Jess6700

Answer by Jess6700 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I don't think it's strange. I'm atheist and I say those things all the time. It's just force of habit. They have no significant meaning for me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• That's funny and I never thought about it. Hmmm? There are so many phrases that are used that don't really mean anything to anyone and they are said because of habit and I guess those would be some.

I am curious though...when you say "Thank God" what are you really saying? Because it doesn't really make sense to thank something you don't believe in.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I do the same thing.. I am Buddhist, I dont believe in god.. but I say "Oh my god" and stuff like that sometimes.. my real reason is its better than swearing, lol.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 12:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I am curious though...when you say "Thank God" what are you really saying? Because it doesn't really make sense to thank something you don't believe in.

THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION. IT'D BE LIKE ME SAYING, "THANK THE GODDESS OF CAT VOMIT." I DON'T BELIEVE IN A GODDESS OF CAT VOMIT, SO WHY WOULD I SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT?
    bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 12:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• BUT, to the OP, I do agree in a way with some of the other's. It's what you hear...it could be habit if it's something you heard growing up...but at the same time, how can you thank someone you don't believe in? I guess if you're in the habit of thinking before you speak, then it wouldn't be so uncommon.
    bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 12:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2008