MOODY 19 year daughters is it just me. Never know who you might get?

If she is basically a good teen who stilllives at home, goes to work, college, not one to party all the time but man at times we all tip toe around the house in fear of her snapping our head off. She sets the tone at the house at times. We can have the best heart to heart conversation on day and the next she bites my head off. I need to know if this is most teenage girls or just mine???? I feel like its me and I think I am going crazy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• It's just a teen thing,I have a daughter 20.and one 17,the youngest is still home,like yours great kid,but yes,mood swings,ya never no who you're gonna get.I call her sybal ,remember the movie with the girl,with all the different personalities,well that's my Cricket.I think they are just trying to figure out who they are in the world,gosh who knows.Another one of lifes little mysteries.If you figure yours out let me know.Ha Ha ,until then good luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 7:25 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My daughter is also 20 and I have noticed her mood swings usually are associated with lack of sleep, or her menstruation. I am one of those sneaky moms and I will suggest potatoes for dinner or a bananas dessert Potassium levels can reduce stress and help with mood swings. Just an idea, sometimes the things we did when they were little help another thing is when my daughter gets this way I try to just listen and not give advice, (So hard) but really they just need the time to vent.

jeric

Answer by jeric at 4:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• has she ever shown signs of personality disorder like bipolar? If it isn't hormonal (menstrual, pregnant, etc) then it could be stress induced or a personality disorder. In my house it was like walking on eggshells.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• hahahaha im 20 years old and what you said sounds like what my mom says. Its pretty normal... most girls I know are like that.....but it could be extreme pms... its hard to tell
    edwinsmom2008

Answer by edwinsmom2008 at 5:31 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Sense she is 19 you can not force her to go get checked out by a doctor. But you can tell her if she doesn't change her attitude , move out. Or deal with it tell she gets out of college

Answer by louise2 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• it coudl b stress to, She seems responsible. I did the same thing when I was 19 I lived at home worked like 40-50 hour weeks and man when I wanted to be left alone or time to hang out with my friends my parents always had to do's so we butted heads because I needed some down time. so no worries you just be her friend and do what you can to be strong who knows you two may be super close your whole lives.
    mocamomma22

Answer by mocamomma22 at 2:53 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Im 19 and would never dream of snapping at my mother. You shouldnt have to walk on eggshells in your home. Take your place back mama.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• drugs maybe? i hope not, but you should check it out.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2008