My step daughter has severe behavior problems.

I have a step daughter who is 2 1/2. She has horrible behavior problems. Her mother does not think there is a problem. Yet her father, myself and everyone else around her can see there is. She throws herself on the floor. Beats her head on walls or anything when she is mad. She will be siting there fine one minute and then next just sit there and scream and cry at the top of her lungs non stop. She has begun hitting. She will barely ever eat and when she does its a game. She will hold a single bite of food in her mouth for literally 15 minutes. Are we supposed to sit there and force her to eat? She is completely dependent on her sippy cup, a disgusting old pillow. If any of these items are out of her sight when she wants them we begin with her beating her head on things. She will sit there even while being yelled at and pay no attention (and she does not have a hearing problem)

Caleb080906

Asked by Caleb080906 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like she is trying to control things in her life because she does not really have any control. If everyone is always yelling at her then she may not listen. I believe that you have to set certain punishments for children this age and follow through with them. For example I used time outs: So if my children were 2 then they would be in time outs for 2 minutes. Then we would talk about why they were in the time out.

I also believe in positive reinforcement. Instead of always punishing her reward her for good behavior. Maybe you could set up some kind of chart system and then every time she behaves she gets a sticker. After "X" amount of stickers she gets a special reward.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:25 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• A 2 1/2 yr old is not too old for a time out in a playpen. That way when she starts beating her head on things in there it's mostly padded. If you put her in there immediatly as soon as it starts and take her out as soon as it's done she'll get the message pretty quick.
    Don't let her see that the food thing bothers you. It sounds like a control issue, so after a week or two of you not reacting or showing any intrest in her food behavour she should stop. Maybe, limit the cup, she doesn't need it all the time.
    Lorelai

Answer by Lorelai at 7:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Thats not a behavior problem per se, thats a parental problem.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Maybe Autism my friend son acts like this and he has that
    mommyjof2

Answer by mommyjof2 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It has got to be hard on her not having both her parents around her all the time. Even though she is very young, this still takes a toll on her. You really need to be patient and think about what shes going through and not be so hard on her. The DISGUSTING OLD PILLOW your talking about, wash it! So what if she wants her sippy and her pillow, what is the big deal. They must comfort her, so why would you want to take them away? She is still a baby and you as a step parent need to be very gentle with her. I have been with my husband for 5 and half yrs. .
    Anonymous

• Continued... now and I feel like people give up so easy on marriage and thats why all thees poor babies out there are so emotionally traumatized. How would you like to wake up one morning and your dad or mom no longer live there. Your step daughter is only human and you really need to be little more considerate. You talk as if shes grown when really shes only 2 and a half. I really hope that you are treating her well because you sound a bit too frusterated over somthing that is not her fault
    Anonymous