At what age should my child start to talk? Help......

My DD is 22 Months and she still only says a few words, but she wont talk i just want to know if this is normal. I have tried to make her talk like asking her to repeat me or if she wants something i try to have her ask for it, but nothing seems to work...

Is this something that is just normal or should she be talking more?

NavyMommy0910

Asked by NavyMommy0910 at 1:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• By that age, she should be saying 2 word sentences. I would speak to the pediatrician about an evaluation for development/speech issues.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 1:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• All different ages. My first son was 3, my daughter was 1, and my third boy was about 2 1/2 all for different reasons. If you are too concerned maybe talk to your ped. GL!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:39 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would get an evaluation just to be on the safe side. Early intervention is usually a free gov't service that is a great help. They come to your home and work one on one with the child. They also provide access to helpful play groups. Good luck Mama! The first step is to ask, you are on the right track!
    MamaEryn

Answer by MamaEryn at 8:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• By almost 2 years she should have about 250 words and using simple sentences. My daughter had large addenoids that were blocking the eustacian tube. Its like hearing through a load of cotton in your ears. It's also important to have her hearing checked out because if she can't hear properly she can't speak properly. She had her addenoids removed and got into speech therapy at 3 in the school system. She was in a special ed. nursery school program that was 1/2 day. Classes were small (8 kids and 2 teachers) plus a load of therapists, speech, physical, occupational and behavior therapists. She's now in 9th grade and doing well.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:20 AM on Mar. 15, 2011