My two-year old started throwing a fit at bedtime....help!

My two-year old son is normally an angel about going to bed. But then one night last week, he just started throwing a fit about going to bed. We had to put his mattress on the floor in his crib because he kept climbing out. He's perfectly happy as soon as my husband or I walk in. He will only lay down and sleep if I lay on the floor next to his crib, and even then it takes forever, because then he wants to goof off. I do not want to get in the habit of that, but he'll scream and yell forever. Any words of wisdom from you experienced mommas?

math_mom2

Asked by math_mom2 at 7:33 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him scream...if you keep going in there and staying there, you are creating a monster..it will only get worse..My daughter did the same thing...I took everything out of her room minus her bed and dresser..It was very hard and took some time but I had to do it.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:40 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• We had the same problem- it turns out that it's all about the routine. We never had one because our DD was always willing to sleep, but that recently changed (she's 16months). Our doctor recommended making our own night time ritual to help her relax and feel good about bed. We all put our pajamas on, then she reads a book with each parent, does some other things with her animals, and then she's ready for bed. We also use the calming baby lotion if it's been a long day.

It sounds like a lot of time spent on getting ready for bed, but now it's something we look forward to at night, and it's made things less stressful. Good luck!
    oceanlover84

Answer by oceanlover84 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2008