Whats another technique then time out or spanking?

I use time out and am against spanking unless last resort.

We are consistent at first it seemed she was in time out all day...but then it started getting less and less. The main things were going into the kitchen...its small, the oven is right by the entrance so its easy for her or even whoevers in there to gt hurt. Yesterday I was making her lunch....ravioli on the burner. I turned it off when it was done and turned aound to the counter to put it in the bowl...She went into the kitch and reached up on to the burner and burned her fingers. SO thats like two stikes. Bein the kitchen and reaching up on the counters. I tended to her, and stuck her in time out. Gave lots of love after too. Well, dinner time comes up I wasnt using the burners this time..thank god...but she reached up again! Or is it working, and shes just testing her boundries....badly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• We try to do natural consequences whenever possible. If my son throws a toy, he loses the toy. If he makes a mess, he cleans it up. I would definitely find a way to keep her from getting close to the stove, though, because that's just such a safety hazard. Maybe you could draw a line on the kitchen floor and say that it's a child-free zone and have her play right there.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 10:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• How old is she?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:30 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• When we are cooking we do not let the kids past the fishbowl ::)) which is about 10 to 15 feet from the stove..they know this...
    I take toys etc...stuff they like away when they miss behave...I also take away playing with their friends out side...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• try loss of privileges. if she is too Young for loss of privileges they are never too young to understand loss of fav toys... i have had to do that to my 3 yr old boy because he doesn't care about time out chair, the next thing we usually do is time out in his room, but i cannot carry him upstairs anymore because i am 16 weeks pregs and not allowed, i wont spank him all the time so i just tell him if he does the same offence again he will loose whatever he is playing with.... he freaks out and really cares.. it is a power struggle and shows who is in charge (ME!) lol....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:06 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• continued...
    also i have read up on different culture's parenting style. i really like the native american approach because i had a nagging mom, when it comes to stuff they can get hurt from, arent manners issues... it is best to warn them. to stop or they will get hurt then let it go. if they get hurt they will see they should listen to warning. that has been effective with my son, he liked to walk on tabl3es and counters when i wasnt looking, he fell a few times and learned his lesson, i could have nagged and put him in time out till i was blue in the face, he just needed to fall down a few times to learn why not to do it... maybe somethign like that would work for your dd, sounds strong willed like my ds.
    AmaliaD

• oops i iddnt even mean to mark anon....anyway she is 2.5 and she usally knows about not goin into the kitchen, weve been working on it since she wss 1 but recently she has been testing her boundries with everything! and this actually got her hurt.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I think she is testing her boundries, its typical for a two year old.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I baby gate the kitchen so I can have freedom to move around and not have to worry about the kitchen appliances and my 2 3year olds and one year old
    carzymomo3girls

Answer by carzymomo3girls at 9:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I take things away from my DD,

I will not allow her to act like a goof ball for no reason i still have not came to the point of smacking her butt, but i will in a second if needed,

I dont time out because it confuses her...and gets her in a bad mood as in WHYYY are you keeping me in the CORNER, i want up their not letting me up IF i get up they wont smack me anyway...
    soooo she gets up !!

I still dont know what to do about her screaming in the stores and in front of others,
    in public its embarrassing
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Logical consequences. If they make a mess, clean it up. If they break something then they must work to pay for it. Most of the time it is not a strict this much work for this much money, just so they understand that it takes alot of work to earn a buck.
    This type of discipline is more practical because it teaches instead of punishes.
    I have found that grounding is pretty pointless and it takes alot of my time to make sure it is carried out.
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 24, 2008