Neighbor smoking weed and the smell is coming into our apartment!!!

We live in an apartment that is completely upstairs so we have a neighbor that is underneath our whole apartment. There have been multiple times when we can smell weed coming up into our house. I've even smelt it very strongly in my daughters room which is not okay what so ever! We told our leasing office and they told us to call the non emergency number and a police officer would come and check it out and what not. Well one night we were home and I smelt it and I called the number and the woman that answered the phone said that they can't send officers to things like this. So I am not sure what to do because it is totally unacceptable especially because we have a 3month old and a 3year old. What should I do? FYI we don't exactly get along with our neighbor either because she complains about noises when we have an energetic 3 year old who wants to run and jump but can't because of where we live.

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 1:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• do they have any kids under 18?...if so then call CPS....or just call the emergency line....or ask for the narcotics when you call....try to get a potition to kick them out of the apartments....Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• before we moved here our neighbor was smoke weed every weekend it was bad the cops did charge them ,but they still do it
    yes i agree with anonymous call cas they will come if there are small kids in the home
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• There are no small kids in the home. It's her and someone else I think. I don't know it seems she has different people in there all the time. Should I call the office again and see what they say after telling them what the non emergency lady told me? Should I just try the non emergency number again and ask if someone would just come out and verify that that is what we are smelling so it isn't just our word?
    Bamzakarat

Comment by Bamzakarat (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I have worked security in numerous different apartment complexs before I graduated college and became a cop, although I am not know cause of my disability. But unfortunately if u live within a city, most times ther police can't come out for something like that. Could be they are just too busy, or just lazy. Your best bet is to keep calling so they get tired of u and check things out. Another thing u can do if it is possible and it NOT a risk to your safety, tryt to keep track on how many people come in and out. If he is going out and getting it, and coming back, then u are kinda S.O.L. If he does have people over, keep track of how many, how long they are there, times, dates ect. Do this for about a week and still keep calling. Sooner or later they will get tired of u calling. Next, and what don't understand is why your people in the leasing office hasn't filed eviction notices. One apartment manager where I worked cont>
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Ok I will give you my opinion, but first before a bunch of moms try to burn me at the stake for saying this, I would like them all to know I do not smoke (marijuana, or cigarettes)
    With that said, my opinion on the matter is that you are right about it coming into your daughters room, that is totally unacceptable!!! Secondly, at least it's not cigarette smoke (Which is FAR more harmful) If I were you I would go have a talk with her (Even tho you don't get along) I would calmy let her know that you do not appriciate smelling marijuana in your daughters room. Let her know that it is coming right up into your apartment. (I would also ask her where her bedroom is so that you can keep the 3 YO from jumping around directly above their bedroom, maybe that will help solve their conflict with you).. and in return they will stop smoking marijuana under your baby's room. That would piss me off!! I would.....
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• >>>at filed notices soon as she saw my written report. They were gone in a month and lost their deposit and went to jail when 1 idoit thought he was a macho man and no chick (me) was gonna tell him he had to move and he punched me and he got a face full of pepper spray and a fully loaded .40 cal gun pointed at him. The idoit didn't see the other police car behind me when he hit me. lol U also can ask the manager one more time tell him the concern u have about your children. Give him a week or so, ask him what he is going to do, and if he still doesn't do nothing, go to the court house and ask them what your options are or call an atty, u get a free consult most times and ask him what u can do about this. Pot smoke as u know I'm sure can be harmful for them and their tiny lungs in thre long term. If possible keep a fan in there at least then air is moving. Or maybe just sleep in the living room. Could u keep me informed??
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• talk to them and tell them all that, and then calmy say "If you continue to smoke under my baby's room I will notify the police!!" Or (Since they are probably still going to smoke marijuana) ask them to open a window or do it outside or something like that, so that it's not coming into your apartment, and btw, that "Campus cop" or whatever it was that told you they could'nt do anything is full of crap, they just don't want to get off their butt!!
    Another thing is that Marijuana will soon be legal... prhabition is almost over, just like with alcohol, infact several U.S. cities have already legalized or decriminalized it. Like I said before at least it's not cigarette smoke. HOWEVER NO kind of smoke is GOOD for you. I would def talk to them.. I hope this helped. =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• "Secondly, at least it's not cigarette smoke (Which is FAR more harmful)"
    I do not know where u got your info Whitneymommy, but you are VERY wrong in that answer.
    Second hand smoke from marijuana is not only as, if not more, toxic as second hand smoke from cigarettes but contains far more lung coating tar, has a pungent smell that can bother non-smokers, and lingers longer in a room, especially in a apartment bldg. So u need to check the facts before u say things like that. I used to be a pot smoke yrs ago, so I do know what dangers 2nd hand pot smoke has on anybody, especially kids.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would just like to say this...
    People to me are people no matter what, I love everyone. Sometimes people are so hostile it's sad, you dont HAVE to call the cops on them infact, that might worsen your living situation, if they get mad becasue you got them in trouble, what will that solve? You will just have a bigger problem, and yes they would get in trouble, but ultimately, what does that solve?
    At least if you talk to them, and can maybe work things out, it will be all peaceful and the problem will be solved. =) People smoke cigarettes all the time, cigarettes are much worse than marijuana that is a fact! Are those people treated like criminals? No.
    If you are wondering why I am so opinionated about this it's because once when I was 19 YO I was at a party and the cops showed up and I went to jail... because the owner of the home had marijuana pipes there. I don't even smoke!!! I still went to jail (Continued)...
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• The potential law, if it ever does become legal, people still cannot smoke pot if they live in apartment, condo any where where u have alot of people living around you for the reason I said in my post.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2011