What do you think of this?

My daughter was in a wreck last Friday. A woman was coming in the exit and hit her. The police report says that neither of them were paying attention. Do you think that something here doesn't sound right? What would you do?

I didn't know what category to put this in.

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• If the lady was coming in the "exit" then that lady would be at fault...your DD should talk to the officer that wrote the report and talk to them about this.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i like tha answer above me not only that but seems like the officer was being lazy and you could sue him and the other person for damages. defently take more action!
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 4:01 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• they both weren't paying attention. as the person merging, you should look and adjust your speed for proper merging. as the person already in the lane, it's your duty to allow people to merge. officer was right, both drivers should have been paying attention.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Sounds to me like the other woman was going the wrong way in a one way exit to me, but maybe I'm reading it wrong. Typically if one person is paying attention they can do something to avoid an accident or at least reduce the impact. It frequently does take two people not paying attention unless there is high speed involved. Sounds like a low speed situation to me. Your daughter might have been able to avoid the accident if she had more experience and reacted in a certain way. Frequently with young drivers they are very busy disbelieving that someone would darn to come into their lane or whatever and fail to react.  So while the other woman clearly caused the accident your daughter may have failed to prevent it.  Or maybe the cop hates teenagers or teen girls.

The first thing I would do is talk to your insurance agent.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• as far as i know first one there has the right of the way
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:26 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• entrance/exit of a highway or a shopping mall?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:30 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Was this on a parking lot?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• How could she have been in the wrong if she was parked?
    amessageofhope

Comment by amessageofhope (original poster) at 1:14 AM on May. 13, 2011