How do you teach you child to write?

I don't mean to toot my own horn or anything but my son is really smart.. he just turned 2 and knows his colors counts from 1-10 and recognizes them too and knows about 1/2 the alphabet... so how do i teach him to write?? Thank you very much!

k.stark

Asked by k.stark at 2:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I asked this question not too long ago, lol.  I'll tell you what I was told and have gone with.  Teach the entire alphabet before teaching any writing.  After he can identify every letter, teach him how to write those.  After he can identify and write every letter of the alphabet, then move onto learning how to read and then write.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Trying to figure that one out myself..that and how to teach them to read...Kenzie, who's turning 3 in June, is very smart too...lol just our opinion though ;) here's a bump for ya!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Introduce one letter at a time and have them copy the letters in a sand box. Give him raised letters so he can feel the shape. He should be able to recognize the letter before writing it. They have pads with the outline on the lines and the child can write over it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My son was the same way... We are working on teaching him to write. He knows all of his letters, so what I've done is written the letters using dashes. Then I taught him to trace the letters with his fingers, and then handed him a crayon/pen/pencil and showed him how to trace it. And now he can do it on his own as long as he is shown with the first one (we do multiples of each letter). I will teach him how to write them all without the dashes after he figures out how to trace the dashes without my having to show him.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I don't know what the "standard" age for this is in our public school system, but the school we are putting our DS into does not teach formal writing until first grade at minimum. It is not necessary for them developmentally, but they should start using the pencil hold on crayons around age 5 and get practice that way.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 8:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• One of the best ways to teach the correct grip on a pencil is to break crayons in at least half. Use large lined paper, the kind they use in kindergarten is best with the dashed middle line so they can see where to start/stop certain letters. One place a lot of people start is with the child's name - make sure to capitalize the first letter and then do the other letters in lowercase. But at age 2, there are a lot of other things he could learn before writing. Try the rest of the alphabet, the sounds that the letters make, shapes, higher counting, etc.

Answer by missanc at 9:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• she didnt it on her own. she can write he rname. mom, cat, and dog. shecan write a few letters i her aplhabet. umm she turn 4 today,
    by 2 she knew her abc, colors, shapes, numbers 1-10. she is . she knows her abc, most sounds, numbers 1-40.she also knows her lower case letters(very important). shepicked up the letters she knows on her own.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Introduce only the letters in their first name. Have them trace letters and then write them on their own. This must be done at least once a day. Teach them the capital and lower case of the letter. Be sure to give a reward )like a sticker or stamp) even just for trying. Slowly introduce other letters as you see them progress.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the answers!
    k.stark

Comment by k.stark (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• put a crayon or pencil in his hand and help him with your hand around his to write the alphabet and such good luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2011