Legalization of Marijuana

First of all I am not a smoker (Cigarettes or marijuana) but I am for it being legalized and let me tell you why.. Before a couple of years ago I had never given it any thought. But I now have two reasons for being for it:
1) My father has chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and in more than one cell culture study, marijuana killed around 80% of the cancer. My father is a law abiding man, and would never try this becasue it is "Against the law" and it makes me sad to think, he will probably be long gone before it is legalized.
2) When I was 19 YO I attended a social party with my friends, it was noisy so the cops were called. I went to jail, along with several other of my friends (Who do not smoke) because the owner of the house had Marijuana pipes in his home. I was treated as a dirty criminal. I had to spend 24 hrs in a disgusting, filthy smelling cell. It was a nightmare!! I could'nt wait to get out and take a shower!! So I am now with those people who say "Go catch the REAL criminals and stop jailing innocent people, or people who smoke marijuana, it's no different than smoking cigarettes! The only difference is that it is LESS harmful!"
Whats your opinion?

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No i do not believe it should be legalized. Not only is it not good for your health but i feel people that try it will probably move on to a harder drug. Just thinking of it becoming legal scares me because there would probably be a dramatic rise in new addicts.The consequences of smoking marijuana include, just to name a few: premature cancer, addiction, coordination and perception impairment, a number of mental disorders including depression, hostility and increased aggressiveness, general apathy, memory loss, reproductive disabilities, and impairment to the immune system.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think people who are getting high can still be "real" criminals.  Ever witnessed someone driving around with billows of smoke pouring out of their windows and they are swerving all over the place.  On the other side of the scope, I think responsible parties who use it for medicinal purposes should get an okay even if it's not made completely legal.  Like in your dads place, it should be legal for him.  Unfortunately I think the bad seeds ruin it for the good people the drug could actually help.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Well of course they should'nt be driving while smoking!! You should'nt drink and drive either, but alcohol is legal...

I would like a link to some information stating a proven fact that marijuana causes premature cancer, because I don't believe that.. but if you have alink plz put it here so I can see.
    and as far as marijuana being a "Gateway drug" I say bull crap! and as far as the "Health risks" which I don't believe except for the memory loss, (that is a fact) lets through those aside because it cannot even compare to cigarette smoke! and cigarettes are legal....
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 3:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I fully support legalization of Marijuana for medical purposes. As for most of the side effects Anon posted that is incorrect - Marijuana can be used to treat many of those symptoms! Hostility and agressiveness? HA! I do not know one single angry pot smoker! It is used to help with many mental conditions such as anxiety and depression! I have to say that it is WAY better than prescription drugs, it is natural and much safer. I do believe that it is abused for the "high" though. But if Alcohol can be legal marijuana should be too!
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 3:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• True but what is memory loss when facing cancer?  I think I'd rather deal with the memory loss personally.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Your Dad would be able to use it if you live in a state where it is legal. So then it isn't against the law with a prescription. The keep ingredient is THC. So I wonder why they just don't prescribe THC, would be cheaper and insurance would pay for it.

LEGALIZE MARIJUANA!
    karen020253

Answer by karen020253 at 3:04 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• People try to say that it can cause cancer and leukemia but it has been known to help with these illnesses!! I think people are too quick to be judgemental for the simple fact that it is illegal and when you think of marijuana you typically associate it with teenagers and partying and other drugs.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 3:05 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• So maybe legalize it but with restrictions?  Alcohol has restrictions but of course that doesn't mean they are followed.  I say give it to those who need it.  People still drive around in my town with smoke billowing out of the windows and it's not legal here.  Obviously laws aren't going to stop those people anyways. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Pure THC csn have adverse side effects including sudden full renal failure. Pure THC can poison someones system in some cases, it alkso can react with other meds. Bur smoking it woudn't do that.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It is completely legalized in several U.S. cities including Denver Colorado, but that is STATE law, at anytime (Even if it is for medical) the Federal law can come in and arrest you. My father would never do it unless it was completely legal, and he still might not even then.. idk. But I know I am for it! I know what is right and what is wrong, and like the other girl said, it can be abused, but so can alcohol! This is prohabition, and I wish it would end!
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 3:10 AM on Mar. 15, 2011