Add/Adhd? or just KIDS BEING KIDS!!!

IN MY OPINION....

When I was little it was normal for kids to be hyper... THATS HOW KIDS ARE! but now since the drug industry wants all the money they can get their little grubbies on they want doctors and shrinks to push meds on children. I think it is rediculous!! My husband was put on several medications for being a "Hyper active child" and they have done much more damage than good. IT'S JUST NOT NATURAL!!!

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• ADD/ADHD does exist. And it did exist in the '60s; it just wasn't diagnosed. However, there are reasons to believe that there are environmental reasons for the higher incidences we see now, as well as the genetic reasons that have always existed.

Yes, children are not as well-disciplined as they were in previous generations. Parents may sometimes look for an 'easy fix' to the problem. That is a problem, too.

And sometimes kids are just being kids. They do have energy they need to burn. They need to run and play and be loud sometimes.

How do you tell the difference? Well, when in doubt, ask. If you are a good disciplinarian, have a good home structure, and provide lots of time for a kid to be a kid, and have a child who still has trouble focusing when you need him/her to focus, you might need to see someone for testing.

If your kid has ADD/ADHD, everyone will be better off for knowing the truth and getting help.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:16 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My SD takes medication for ADHD... It has helped her to concentrate, but there are other ways to handle it, such as behavior therapy, routine/structure, teaching them to organize, allowing them to work away from others, etc.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:40 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i think it defently could be both. but you so right about docs wanting to keep shoveling meds down our throats for a profit!!
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 2:37 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i somewhat agree with you. i DO believe that in some circumstances, medication may be necessary. However, I believe that children are being over-diagnosed. I believe that only a small percentage of the kids on those meds really need them. Some kids are just hyper. Some kids have trouble concentrating. Does it make it harder? Yes. I think doctors are just trying to appease worried mohers. There are other options that should be exhausted before resorting to chemical intervention.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:48 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I agree. It seems nowadays that most kids are on some type of medicine. In the 60's when a kid acted up he got a spanking from the teacher and his parents!
    karen020253

Answer by karen020253 at 2:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I see another side. I know of several parents who refuse to discipline and wind up with children they can not control. Instead of admit that THEY have a parenting problem, they make it that their children have the problem and have them diagnosed with some issue, then get medications to get the kids under control.
    In addition, you do realize that unless the doctor has stock in pharmaceutical companies (which I don't even think is ethical) they do not get any money for the drugs they prescribe?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Ok Mrs Houston... It is NOT a slap in the face to anyone, and I do NOT judge!! Of course some children might NEED these medications to help them with a problem they might have! HELLO! I am talking about the general population! 76% of american children have been told they need these medications! Maybe I should have been more specific, but make no mistake, I do NOT judge, that is one thing I do NOT believe in!!!
    My deepest sympathy goes out to families with these actual problems! I myself come from an extreamly ill populated family, my father has CLL, my mother recently had a stroke, and just about everyone in my family has alot of health issues, so NO, don't come on here telling me that I am slapping ANYONE in the face! I DO NOT appriciate that at all! Like I said, maybe I should have been more clear about what I meant...
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 2:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Well I could have just taken it wrong also.  That's what it sounded like to me, that doesn't make me right.  ;)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• No worries Mrs houston, I should have been more clear. No harm done =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 3:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think that this post is a slap in the face to parents (especially the moms on here) who are struggling with children who are hyper and being judged.  My kids aren't extremely hyper and not able to pay attention so no, I wouldn't put them on meds for what I consider to be "normal".  And hopefully a few moms with children who actually have these trials and tribulations will post so that you can understand what they are going through.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:37 AM on Mar. 15, 2011