I need to get my 4 year old daughter potty trained Help!

My 4 year old daughter still isn't potty trained completely. She will go to the bathroom as long as you basically make her go but if you dont tell her to go she goes in her pullup. What do I do ?

MommyH4

Asked by MommyH4 at 2:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are there any characters she likes?  For instance, my 3 year old daughter I didn't feel was ready to try for potty training again.  But she spotted Tinkerbell undies and was totally up for it.  I explained to her that she would not be able to pee in her Tinkerbell undies and something "clicked" and bam she was potty trained.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• take the pull off and make her run around naked for a while. Ask her every ten minutes if she has to potty and even if she says no, make her sit on it just in case. If she doesn't go after 2 mins, do it all over again. It's all up to you mom. She's learning and YOU have to show her the ways.
    scottshoney

Answer by scottshoney at 2:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I tried about every type of underwear possible lol. I thought the wet feeling in underwear she would hate it . But she runs around like it doesn't bother her at all! and scotty ive tried that she pees and poops on my floor! lol She has adhd real bad and really hard to get her attention. Now shes on every seizure medicine which is even worse because the side effects on the medicine she spaces out alot.
    MommyH4

Comment by MommyH4 (original poster) at 3:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I can understand the "pressure" of trying to get her potty trained but babe I think sometimes it's just not the right time.  If you are doing everything and it still isn't working, maybe that's the case. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Thanks!! I just wish it was her time because she will be 5 in august and she will be in kindergarden. Hopefully she starts going soon!
    MommyH4

Comment by MommyH4 (original poster) at 3:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Is there maybe some way to lower her dose of meds so that she can not space out?  I would be worried about that and starting Kindergarten also. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Its just she like stares off into space .. And you actually got to like go face to face with her to get her attention sometimes. No cant lower her dose shes on the smallest dose there is and if they take her off the medicine she can get worse seizures. She's stil have seizures even being on it she had another one yesterday around noonish
    MommyH4

Comment by MommyH4 (original poster) at 3:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Oh damn, I'm so sorry to hear that!  So little to be dealing with seizures!  Maybe the constant telling her would eventually work.  Maybe at some point things will just "click" and then she'll be doing it on her own.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:23 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I sure hope so. I'm gettin her a service dog that is trained with children that have seizures. That might make her focus more. And thanks im staying strong for her. I think its child epilepcy . I was reading up on it and everything that she does is a match to it. Unexplained fears and all of that.
    MommyH4

Comment by MommyH4 (original poster) at 3:26 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• That's an awesome idea!  Keep us posted on how that goes! 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2011