What would you say about a person who reacts this way

the tv was on and a news brief about Japan came on
there was a photo of a car on top of a building amoung unspeakable descruction
there was talk about the possible happening of the reactors
etc

this person says to me "do you know they found the cause of all that .....
"godzilla" and then he he said this with an 'accent' and then he laughed

i knew he has a lack of empathy, but joking like this, i was speachless
*this was my ex (and father of my child)
what a complete and perfect thoughtless
jerk

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 8:31 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• Insensitive.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• what a complete and perfect thoughtless jerk
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• sad, very sad.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't call him a jerk, simply because people deal with this differently. Japan is a HUGE disaster and its kind of sheds light on just how fragile life is. For some people, that's hard to take so they joke about it.
    KWnavywife

Answer by KWnavywife at 8:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My DH and I have made a Godzilla comment here or there.... b/c we used to watch the shows as kids. But we are not being mean spirited about it. The news keeps making my cry. Some people can't grasp, or are not equipped to deal with that type of destruction/images. Plus, he was probably trying to get under your skin.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• actually, some people react this way and it is considered normal to overwhelming sadness or stress. it's really just a conditioned response some people have. It seems inconsiderate, but it really is just a coping mechanism. you see the characteristic in trauma personnel, military, police and firefighters-the mind takes over quickly to not be encompassed by grief that may cause permanent damage or bad memories to the person as a whole.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think some people use jokes and what not to deal with tragedy. Its the way some people are even if it comes about or sounds tasteless. My dh does that and over the years I have learned it is his way, he has even told me that it is easier for him to deal with something tasteless by trying to make people smile. I try not to be too uptight about his jokes anymore since I know he is right, it is how some people are.

Answer by gemgem at 8:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• His reaction is actually quite normal. Everyone deals with grief in their own way
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Maybe he was not trying to be a jerk, but it did affect him the same way it affected you, but he didn't want to show that.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Well, even though that kind of behavior disgusts me also... I'd just excuse myself from a person's home, if they're into those kind of jokes. My reaction may sound hypocritical to some with me being a fan of South Park. I don't laugh at all of the jokes, that are presented on the show... but still. I guess it's about joking in regards to a tragedy in real time, that makes it so offensive. My husband isn't into that kind of humor, so I don't have to worry about speaking my mind on that standpoint. We're all guilty of many things. Some of are aware of what offends others and some of us aren't.

LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2011