I know that I can buy a frozen cake with food stamps, but what about a fresh birthday cake? I can not bake one b/c we do not have an oven. we're living in a hotel.

I have to get it today bc his birthday is tomorrow.  I can get sarah lee's cake, which are delics, but my 3 boys will eat that up so quick.  I want to get him a real cake.  I don't want to get in line and then my foodstamp does not accept it.  Do you think the grocery store can answer my question?

MSDW

Asked by MSDW at 9:05 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Shopping

• I always buy my daughters' birthday cakes at the Kroger bakery, fresh ones, not frozen. I know, bad mom, but I can't cook or bake worth a darn and I figure the kids might want to actually get an edible cake on their birthdays, lol.
    Anyway, I think a beautifully decorated, fairly large cake usually runs me about $20 at the Kroger bakery. They will decorate it to your liking and have it ready when you specify.
    Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• just buy one from walmart in the bakery, or any grocery store.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• yes you can, i forgot to add that.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes, just call the grocery store and when someone answers, ask to be transferred to the bakery, then ask the questions you need info for.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• In Michigan, and most other states, you are not allowed to buy pre-prepared foods. Such as from the Deli or Bakery. A pre-made cake from the bakery (in any grocery store) isn't accepted on food stamps. It has to be from the packaged frozen foods section or a box mix.

Pre-Prepared foods include Deli foods like Rotisary chicken and things of that nature. (Does not include deli cold cuts) As well as bakery goods like fresh baked doughnuts, cakes, and other treats. Those are NOT accepted on food stamps.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:24 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Actually fresh baked doughnuts, cakes and other treats ARE accepted on FS. I bought a cake for my sons birthday on FS's along with various treats for the party.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• yes you can get deli foods and bakery items with fs as long as they arent hot....i do it ever month.......OP yes you can get a cake from the bakery with fs just get it from the pre-made secetion of the bakery ....DONT ORDER IT FROM THE CLERK.......thats the only catch in using FS to pay for it......happy bday to you light guy......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• yes you can.
    iluvmybabe

Answer by iluvmybabe at 10:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• yes you can. i had to do it once for my daughter when our oven went out. that was in Indiana. now getting a deli sandwhich or hot chicken that you can eat in the car NO
    Anonymous