Child support/visitation

my son is 16 and his Dad was in prison for 16 yrs and has never seen him and never paid child support, we get medical assitance so of course since he is out they are going after him for child support, well i just got a nasty email from his Dad saying he will go after visitation now,a nd my son wants nothing to do with him because of what he did and he is just a jerk and a liar, I was wondering since my son is 16 is it his choice???he says he will refuse to go to Indiana and wants nothing to do with him.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, it is your son's choice. After this long, and his father not being in his life for all of his 16 years, a judge is not going to force your son into letting his father be a part of his life, child support or not. Just because a parent pays child support does not give him or her the right to being a part of a child's life. A judge will take all things into account and I simply don't see a judge forcing visitation on your son.

gailpen

Answer by gailpen at 9:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Don't get upset yet. They very likely will insist that the father visit the young man on his own turf. I would hope they would not say he has to travel out of state. The father is just causing drama.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• At his age I think the judge would take his wants into consideration. Also, there is no way your son would be made to go out of state to meet someone for the first time. The faher would have to make arrangements to come to him Im sure.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I am upset though. lol I am thinking he is probally on porole also and can't leave the state and i would hope they wouldn't make us travel. I just know when i tell Dakota this that he will be upset and mad.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i will tell you right know i am going thur visitations with the kids dad and the girl are 13 and 15 and they refuse to go......ex says i'm being a bitch and takes me back to court JUDGE to bad she DOESNT have to make the girls go they are old enough to decide that on their own........so the answer from CA (that where i live) is kids or 12 decide to go or not dont know about your state call a lawyer and ask them what the norm is.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I'm sure your son will be able to make the choice himself after the visitation hearing. With his father's past, a judge will probably be understanding of the situation.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I believe at 16 your son has the right to make this choice on his own. I do not think they will insist he visit his father.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:29 AM on Mar. 15, 2011