How many days until I can check?

Can anyone tell me ( I don't know how I do not know this after two children) how many days I have to wait after an "accident" during sex to take a pregnancy test? It was Saturday night, and I am impatiently waiting to make sure it will be accurate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Health

• Tough to say, actually. Conception can take place as late as 7 days after sex, depending on when you you ovulate (sperms can hang out in your fallopian tubes for several days waiting for an egg to show up). So, instead of counting from the day you had sex, count from the day you expect your next period. You can test up to 5 days before your period, but it is much more accurate to wait until the day your period is due. You are more likely to get a false positive the earlier you test.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• ... false negative. I meant false negative. It is extremely uncommon to get a false positive.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• lol...I was hoping for anything but that answer because my period ended on friday the 21st. My 'accident' was during the ' thank god my period is over' celebration. I guess I will just have to wait.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• If you're pretty regular, your period lasts somewhere around 5 days, and your cycle is in the neighborhood of 28 days or longer, it is unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) that you got pregnant right after your period ended. We don't use any birth control, and we always have sort of a post-period celebration of careless sex, too... lol.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2008