Have you ever taught a cat to do a trick?

I have had cats most of my life and have never been able to teach any of them any cool tricks...cause, you know, if it's not their idea, they aren't going to do it, lol. Gotta love cats!

Anyway, in January, we adopted a beautiful 6 year old purebred Himalayan from a local rescue group. They sent this little blue rubber bracelet with her and said that her previous owners turned it in with her because it was her special toy. Well, it sure is! She loves this thing, loves to run after it when we throw it, dig until she finds it when we hide it piles of stuff, etc. I have been teaching her that it's called "Mimi's bracelet" so she'll know what it is. Now, I have taught her to bring it to me when she wants a snack or meal. It's hilarious! She would pester me for treats or canned food, and I'd say "Where's Mimi's bracelet?" over and over. Then she started bringing it to me without me asking whenever she wants food, lol. She picked this little trick up pretty quickly, showing me what a smart little gal she is.

So have you ever tried to train a cat to do stuff like that? Any luck? Here's Mimi a few minutes ago, silently pleading for treats ("look Mommy, I brought you the bracelet!")

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 9:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Pets

• My cat can fetch. But, i was just reading that not all cats will do that. Some cats are food addicts, some are not. If they are food addicts (like dogs) then you can give them treats & then they can learn how the reward system works. My fat cat sure loves food, so the treats worked WONDERS for him. You can throw anything that he can fit in his mouth, he'll go get it & bring it back...lol. Too cute!

Some cats could care less about the treats you give them. So, it really depends on the temperament of your cat.

He also plays hide & seek. You have to peek around the corner, if he catches you peeking at him, this will spike his interest. If i see him look at me when peaking, i will immediately go find a place to hide. When he finds me...lol, he always attacks my ankles. He is so friggen funny...i swear he was a dog in his past life. He even chases cars out of my driveway...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• omg what a beautiful cat. my cat eats plastic. so i think there will be no tricks for her. lol she really doesnt eat it but she loves playing with anything plastic
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I clicker trained my child hood cat (dog training method). He was VERY food motivated so he was easy to teach. He learned to wave, talk to me, sit and few other things. I have a cat right now that is also food motivated probably more so then Dusty was and she is learning several tricks as well.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• When I was younger (like in 5th grade younger) I had a cat who would fetch, play dress up, and when I would have pretend tea parties he would pick the cup up with his paws and stick his face in it like he was drinking. But I never taught him to do any of these things.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• She is beautiful! And evidently very smart! How cool that you were able to teach her that so quickly :) My childhood cat REALLY loved sliced cheese, so I taught him to sit up on his haunches and beg like a dog! lol He also knew his name, and would fetch. He also liked to bring me 'presents', like half of a dead rat, or dead mice. I guess in this situation it's the thought that counts! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:30 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• She is beautiful! My previous cat BabyKitty would 'dance' for a cat treat. I would shake the can and she would come running and I would say dancy-dance and she would stand up on her hind legs and turn around for a treat. She also knew the word "din-din" (meaning food time). So if she was hiding and I wanted to find her I would yell "din-din Bee" and she would come running thinking she was going to get fed.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:25 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Cute cat. My cat Shadow will drink from the tub faucet and come get me when he is done so it can be turned off.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My cat Thor plays fetch with a cotton ball - he goes nuts to do that
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• One of my cats will fetch. He's also diabetic, and will warn me whenever it's time for him to get his shots (twice a day). I swear, he can tell time!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• LOL my cat comes up with her own tricks she will perform for you. She will carefully scoop out just the ice in a glass of water and look at you like "There! See? Aren't you impressed?" before she just walks away.

As far as fetch or sitting and staying- no, because it wasn't "her idea".

CATS!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011