Is it safe to go scuba diving if you don't have a spleen?

Is it safe to go scuba diving if you don't have a spleen? Yes, I will ask my doctor, but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone knew? My spleen ruptured last October and I am in the process of learning how to dive. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there may be any affects with having no spleen.

MommyJen

Asked by MommyJen at 8:43 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Health

• well my first thought to this, was you should ask a doctor....lol, but since you are going to do that. I have no idea, but if you are going to a diving class before your appt....i think the instructer might be able to inform you of any risks. if they are a proffessional.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 8:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would confirm with your doctor first. I am an advanced open water diver, and as you know the spleen is used to destroy spent red blood cells and the organ contains a lot of oxygen. Without a spleen your body is more prone to infection, so you will likely have to take a regular course of antibiotics for life. That said, if you are completely post-surgery healed, and feeling energetic (not lethargic), I should think for starters a few "casual" dives in shallow water (no more than 35 feet for upwards of an hour) would be fine (besides that's where dives offer the most in terms of beauty and exploration!).

As you venture deeper in time, I should think you would need to surface at longer intervals, so as to allow your body to adjust to pressure changes and red blood cell re-oxygenation.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2008