Can you havean alcoholic beverage while breast feeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Sure. One drink isn't going to hurt. But if you're going to drink more than one, pump and dump...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes but you have to wait a few hours before feeding or pump it out first. Cause it gets into the feed supply.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 10:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I tried it once. I had been craving a margarita and finally had one. When I pumped it and put the bag next to others I had in the freezer I noticed my milk was green! Obviously I threw it out. If the pigment can change I'm sure I would be passing along more than that. But I did have a drink and no harm was done. Go ahead but be smart about it.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 10:24 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• yes, just pump out the next batch & toss it out. Some don't even do that. My mom said beer made her produce more milk, so she drank it here & there when she breastfed.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:24 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You can but I agree with SabrinaMBowen - ya gotta pump and dump. Not ideal but sometimes it comes up.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes and no. You'll need to pump before hand to make sure baby has some and then depending on how much you drink you'll need to pump at least twice (again depends on how much you drink) before you feed again.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:26 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• A glass of wine or a beer can actually help you relax.
    In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom's blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom's body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.

Current research says that occasional use of alcohol (1-2 drinks) is not harmful to the nursing baby. The American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs classifies alcohol (ethanol) as a “Maternal Medication Usually Compatible With Breastfeeding.”
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 10:27 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It's fine. 1-2 drinks are fine, depending on how you feel. Anything more then 1-2 drinks, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again, but after just 1 or 2, you can nurse when you need to. Pump/dump is a waste of time, energy and MILK! Only pump if you will need to keep up supply for a missed feeding, otherwise, it's not going to get alcohol out of your milk any faster. Alcohol leaves your milk as it does your blood, and only time can make it happen.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2011