If you were invited

to your nephews reception(they are getting married in front of a judge) would you feel obligated to bring a gift? Also if your husband says he isn't going would you still go or not?

I was planning on going anyhow but was just wondering what type of gift to take

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• My husband and I both value being part of our extended family and making it to as many events as possible. We have not always been able to afford big gifts but we try to get something and be there for our family. I probably wouldn't go if my husband was not going to be with me.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 10:31 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• yeah i'd go , no gift , a card with some cash maybe
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Sure - just because they choose not to spend $20 or 30K to get married why should they be denied a gift? If you are close to your nephew and love him then I think you should go regardless. If you aren't particularly close and don't feel compelled to go then don't. I think this one boils down to your relationship.................and the reasons your DH doesn't want to go..................these things only you know and therefore make the best decision.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I'd go no matter if husband was going or not. I guess the gift would depend on a whole lot of things. I most likly would being a gift or just a card with a gift card inside.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would give them something to celebrate the marriage either a gift or just money in a card. If my hubs did not want to go that's fine he is an adult and free to make his own choices. If that were the case I would either go by myself or call some of my family and see who is going and ride with them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:31 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I agree with letstalk
    PurplWildFlower

Answer by PurplWildFlower at 10:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would be there with bells on. I have 2 nephews and would do my very best to go and support their decision to marry, if they ever do so. (they live overseas, so it would be a little more difficult.) And of course I would give a gift.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think it depends on your own personality. If you're the type of person who loves to pick up gifts, no matter where the event is being held, then it wouldn't feel like a obligation. I'd still attend the event whether my husband decides to show up or not. I'm there to show my love, support, and have a good time.

LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If I were invited to my nephews reception, I would be thrilled to attend with or without my husband. Who they decide to marry them is totally up to them and has no bearing on my decision of attendance or gift. Marriage is a celebration that deserves both in my book.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 10:41 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would say gift .. it should not matter where they got married.
    MominCa

Answer by MominCa at 10:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2011