MIL!

Is being a mother in law a syndrom I mean seriously!

My MIL was visiting the other day & wanted to take us out to lunch. I asked my 3yo daughter what she wanted to wear to go. She said she wanted to wear what she already picked out for the day a princess gown & tinkerbell pants both are pj items. I said fine. MIL then goes your going to let her wear that out & I'm like yeah why not. She goes on about how whenever she sees a person out in public in pj pants how she thinks that they are scuz/scum & unkept etc. I gave her the strangest look b/c my daughter is 3yo HELLO! Are you going to think that about a small child like come on!

Sometimes my MIL says things like this & more other times that I'm just like really. Shes very smart person too so it always makes me go WTF! Thankfully this is the worse of my issues with her is comments of the sort once in a while I am sure you ladies have much worse stories then this one. Feel free to share =)

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• The pj's comments could be due to her age and being an older generation. My mil was like that about pj's too. The summer my ASD son was 3 going on 4 he practically lived in his different Scooby Doo pj's sets. I did not have a problem with him putting on clean pj's each morning- they were cute, clean and comfortable (and frankly looked very similar to his shorts/shirt sets!). I felt since we were home most of the time why not let him be comfortable and wear what he wants-- and frankly the pj's was such a small issue and not worth turning into a big battle over. My mil freaked and would make snotty comments about him wearing pj's. I told her if SHE didn't like it then SHE could re-dress him! She tried once and he had a meltdown from hell-- and then after that she never said a word against his pj's again!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• LOL MizLee glad I am not the only one! My MIL is on the young side though she is mid/late 40's. I just couldnt believe she was saying that towards a 3yo! What does that mean would she think the 3yo is scum or me scum for letting my 3yo dress like that haha I feel the same as you its simply not a battle I wish to fight. Her gowns look like a dress rather then pj's & yes tinkerbell & tiana dont "match" but come on she liked both pieces she was wearing why would I ensue a meltdown before us leaving! After MIL asked if we could change her I opend up the closet & asked my daughter which nightgown she wanted to wear haha MIL then went into the closet grabbed something else & told my daughter that she couldnt have her lunch treat unless she changed. *roll eyes* ugh MIL's!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My MIL is the same way she drive me crazy! she calls my 3 girls huzzys which i have asked her not to every time She is always running us down and expects my DH to drop everything and come running she dont understand he has a family now she comes Last. Everything she says always comes back and I just keeps getting worse if you no what i mean. like my Dh got a used 4 wheeler and she griped cause that was money that he could have spent on the kids our kids dont want for anything they need it they got it. the kids always come first! I wont even let the girls go with her cause I dont trust her she has been in trouble with the law If I had it my ways she wouldn't be around til she straightened up sorry had to vent MIL is a sore subject lol
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 11:04 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My husband's whole family is like that INCLUDING my husband. The kids can't wear PJs outside at all. It is fine.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:13 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yea... My MIL does the same thing. Hell, I even use to be that judgmental. Not towards littles ones of course. You want to stop a outrageously judgmental person in their tracks, help them become aware that the person their judging isn't the issue... they are. That's how I shut myself up. I've realized my own hang-ups is my personal problems. That's probably why I don't have many friends nowadays, because some women want to sit around and talk about people all day... everyday. No matter how smart they are or how many degrees they have... they're still human at the end of the day.

LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Tell her she's ONLY 3 it's NO big deal. If she was 6 or 8 you wouldnt. I agree with the MIL though. If your an adult walking around in public with PJ's your just a lazy slob.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I run to the gas station (next door) in my pj pants when I have to grab a loaf of bread sometimes late at night, put gas in the car, etc. lol so am I slob?

I think wearing comfy pants out & about can be done nicely while done in a slobish way too. There are certainly comfy pants that I do not wear to the gas station while there are ones that I do not haha Its a rare occasion that I wear comfy pants anywhere else but once in a great while I will run errands around town in them =) Guess I am a slob then!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• sometimes I wear pjs out just because they are comfy I dont care what anyone thinks as long as it aint a dressy event it shouldn't matter
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 12:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011