For bf and ff mommas. How do you make it work?

I am no longer able to pump enough to keep baby satisfied while i go to work. I dont have time enough in a day to pump what he needs, and my freezer stash just ran out!. I am wondering how it would work to fill up the remainder of the bm bottle with formula? He is 3 months old and usually eats 5 oz.. but i can usually only get 3 oz when i pump. I worry he may be too happy with formula once i start and have issues with being ebf when i dont work...... any experience with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I combined formula with my milk from the start since my DD was a preemie and needed the extra calories.

My supply dwindled at around 4 mos thanks to my busy work schedule. I just kept using more and more formula to the milk until she was formula only. We never had any issues with the transition.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• In my experience, it wasn't the formula that mine ended up preferring, it was the delivery system. My oldest was the only one to take a bottle and he began to prefer it because it was quicker. He still eats fairly quickly.

I would throw in a few extra minutes during each pumping session if you can. And pump extra on the weekends. It might at least help to meet the quota.

And know that you are doing your best by making sure that baby is fed. In the end, that is all that matters.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I only bottle fed and my Son is healthy as a horse. At night, I would feed him put him to sleep then go to bed around 10pm. My DH is a night owl & when the baby would wake at around 1am, my DH would feed him and put him back to bed. I would wake at around 4 or 5am & do that feeding. It worked out great since I could get the sleep I needed. I don't see the big hub bub about "God Forbid" you bottle feed. There are probably more people alive now in the USA that have been bottle fed as opposed to breast fed. My Moms generation (in the 50's-60's) NEVER breast fed & we are all fine & healthy. Do what ever is right for you.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• oooook.. i never said there was anything bad about bottle feeding.
    i personally prefer bf and i dont mind geting up to feed him, etc.

my lo has had no issues having the occasional bottle, and he only usually needs 1 while i work. I have an extremely busy schedule besides work... so its hard to even find time to pump in a day....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would pump the 3 oz and then next pump, add another ounce. I would make full bottles of formula.

That way you have a bottle of each rather than mixed all the time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• As a peer BF councilor, I worked with a woman who couldn't pump at work. Her LO had formula during the day and breastfed nights and weekends. The more you pump or feed, the better your supply will be. It is OK to combine milk and formula. You just need to toss it if not drunk within an hour. (Milk can be offered a 2nd time.)
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Try making the bottles 3-4 oz of breast milk, every 3 hrs or so. If that works, then do that with all the milk you've pumped for the day, and if you need more later on, make a serving of formula if you need to. Then nurse when you're together.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I will ONLY nurse when I am home.. but I really cannot find time to pump everyday, so if I DO pump, its maybe at night when he sleep a long stretch. I cannot pump while he eats either.. the pump freaks him out... and he is a squirmy baby...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2011