A question for those that are a member of a church or have been a member

What do you think you and your church would decide to do with a person if they got caught stealing or trying to steal your churches building fund besides the obvious of calling the cops? Would you ban them from your church and say they'd have to find another one or would you still let them be a member of the church?

sweetpea1217

Asked by sweetpea1217 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would work with them... there is a reason why the person did this. Is there a need, then Id help them but I would also tell them they no longer have the place to work with the money and they would need to step down and go through a restoration process. I believe in the power of Grace.
    A good book The culture of Honor.. the very first chapter has an amazing story of something similar and instead of pointing out the sin, they look for the root problem and deal with it and they are instructed to clean up their own mess.. in this case pay back all that was stolen.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• The church of which my family are members has in place a church disciplinary policy which is based on and consistent with Scripture. The purpose is to correct and restore the member who is caught in sin, but we have on occasion had to withdraw membership from those who refused to admit and correct their wrong.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:10 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Isn't church for sinners? why would you ban them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• we offer the amount of money they tried to steal directly to them and wait to see if they take it. out in the open. if they don't take it, they never really needed it. they are not banned, they are not encouraged to stay either, just left up to their own decision as to how they want to deal with the indiscretion with God. No judgment, No pressure, No banning. All our members sin and no sin is greater than the other.All lives are worthy of redemption.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• well as the church it should be helping the person get the help they need, maybe not revoke their membership but maybe not allow them to hold positions in the church esp those that might handle money such as offering collector, treasurer, or any type of accounting duties.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would let the police take over with the punishment.

The church needs to find out why was he stealing and help him clean up.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:15 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I imagine they would have to call the police, but after that I think they would just limit their access to the church's finances.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I don't think the (my) church wuld ban the member, the whole purpose of church is for sinners to hear the word of God...what purpose would it serve to keep them from coming to the one place they probably need to be the most?
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If he was unrepentant, they would remove him as a member of the church. He would still be free to come to services but he would not be able to be a member.

But at our church we have one person in charge of things like that who have to provide reports to the other members so if something goes missing we know who did, ect.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It strikes me as very unChristian to not follow the teaching of Christ, which is to forgive. I would expect that this person would no longer be in a position to handle church funds, but punishment would be up to the court.

It also strikes me that most people, once caught, would leave a church of their own volition unless assured of forgiveness.... and even that might not keep them.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2011