Do your kids play sports?? If so get there heart checked.

Too many kids are dying playing sports because of an unknown defect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Kids should have their hearts checked whether or not they play sports.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:16 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Also, take away those energy drinks. To many kids down them and then go play a sport those things are horrible for you. I wasn't playing any sports but I drank a Monster drink once a day and after a summer of doing that I was getting constant heart murmers.
    Even though Coach's no longer allow them to "drink" those drinks before the game or practice doesn't mean they don't do it. They are so easy to get and easy to hide or drink before anyone knows.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• They do and thank you for this reminder. The 6 year old gets way too winded for way too long of a time and I find that unusual. I've just gotten off the phone with the pediatrician and have scheduled an appointment. Thanks again.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:20 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I agree Gnomeofmy heart. I won't let my kids drink those. My ds plays sports and I have witnessed parents between games giving those. I just read the article of the teenage boy who had the game winning shot in basketball and died on the court. So sad. I just made ds an appointment.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes, they do. My younger son has his yearly appointment next month. When I go, I will ask for my other son to be checked over.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Who gives a kid an energy drink anyway? Lol. They have enough energy.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My kids all play and have to pass a physical to play. I dont think these kids have unknown defects I think they are taking high energy drinks that they think is alright and it is not. They end up dehydrated as well and then have a heart attack or heart failure.

Answer by gemgem at 11:47 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• They all get physicals. That doesn't check there heart. Not all kids who have died have had the energy drinks. They need to make it manditory to add the heart check in all high school physicals. They just don't have the $$ for it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I actually have the same issue that too many young athletes die from. The problem is it takes many expensive tests to diagnose it, and you have to have a reason to have those tests done. Not everyone has symptoms, so not everyone has reason to ask for those tests. Most people who get it either get it during puberty, or start having symptoms during puberty - but too many docs also ignore it - my own cardioligist said there was no way I had it the first time I went in (my dad was diagnosed with it a few years after my firstborn was diagnosed, so I went, told the doc, told him my symptoms, and he still said "no way". Yeah, we proved him wrong and I switched cardiologists). Some docs even downplay it - I know full-well I could have a heart attack if I overdo things, yet my current cardiologist tells me I need to work out, get a job (which I did but it's not going well), etc. I may continue my answer later.
    Anonymous

• anon. I had an undetected issue until I was 27.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011