relactating?? help!

Hi, my baby is almost 4 months old. I havent been breastfeeding for 2.5 months but i really really miss it and want to try it again (even tho i had a hard time with it to begin with) I put her to breast this morning and she just laughed and looked at me. I took out my pump and hooked it up and started pumping. I got a few drops out of my right boob and nothing out of my left. It was really thick feeling. It hurts to pump really bad! Im wondering what other moms have done ....is it possible that I could establish milk again and even if she wont take from my breast I could pump and bottle feed it to her. I really really want to try....if it does not work thats fine but if I have a chance to give her my breast milk again I would love that. Let me know any tips or advice that you have....Thanks!!

falanlee

Asked by falanlee at 8:56 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good for you for realizing breast is best. YES! You can do this. First of all, http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html this is a great site! Also, you may want to start taking domperidone will help alot. You can take fenugreek, but it WILL make you smell like a pancake after a while :P Also, you can drink mothers milk tea. The domperidone is the best though. I have used this and it worked. pump pump pump and nurse nurse nurse. I PROMISE YOU CAN DO THIS MAMA!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It is SO great that you want to try! Definately check out the kellymom link that navy-wife gave you. That whole website is awesome!

The key thing is to provide a lot of demand...that will get you supply. Right off the bat, no more pacifiers when you're around. If baby wants to suck - nurse. That will give your body the stimulation to produce milk. Once you start getting milk again cut out bottles! If you need to supplement still while your supply builds you do that at the breast with a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS).

Get in touch with a local lactation consultant to help you out and give you personalized and detailed advice. Good luck and absolutely wonderful you want to do this!!! It truely is the best thing for you and your baby!
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• if she wont latch on to stimulate my breast, how long should i be using my electic pump and how often? Where can I get domperidone and the mothers milk?
    falanlee

Answer by falanlee at 9:25 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Get domperidone online, it's not available at pharmacies in the US but is if you live in canada. I live in the US and got mine online. You can also ask your doc for a perscription of REGLAN. It has SEVERE side effects and gave me seizures. domperidonehas NO side effects. The mothers milk tea can be purchased almost everywhere. GNC and also walmart carry it where I live. It tastes a bit like liccorice and will need honey and lemon unless you like the taste of liccorice. LOL I don't, so I ahd to choke it down. I would make it my the gallon and drink one gallon per day. It tatses better cold like iced tea.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:36 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Pump every couple hours every day. Pump for 5-10 minutes AFTER you stop getting any milk. Remember that high suction/speed is not always necessary or best! You have to figure out what works best for you.

What pump are you using. Offer the breast often. Try doing it when she's not actively hungry...anytime she wants to suck, when she's just content, at the first signs of hunger, etc.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• "domperidone has NO side effects" Actually it can. Just be aware of them. It is a gastro-intestinal medication that USUALLY has no negative side effects when used for lactation purposes. Few women report that it gives them the runs until they get used to it. Personally my bowels are screwed up from my c-section and being on domperidone (also known as motilium) actually helps regulate things some for me.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 24, 2008