C-section versus natural birth debate. adult content

My sister has had 3 c-sections and constantly talks about how great it was to just "have it over with and not feel anything". After each birth she spent over a week in the hospital and then over a week in bed at home ( actually on the couch since she couldn't do stairs). And yet she still glorifies c-sections to the sky and was trying to talk me into "getting one" with my son, as if it were the best thing that ever happened to her.
Having a natural birth was important to me. I wanted to do it that way since before even getting pregnant. In fact, when it turned out that my son was in the breech position and it didn't look like he was going to move, I even had a version ( not sure of the spelling). It is a procedure where the doctor turns the baby inside you from the outside by pressing on your belly. It took an hour and was very painful, but the doctor was able to turn him around and I was so happy, since he had told me that I would have to have a c-section if it didn't work. My belly was bruised purple and brown for the last month of my pregnancy, but I didn't care. We had our natural birth and I was out of the hospital in three days ( It would have been 2 but we were have trouble learning how to nurse) and was back to normal the minute we got home. I was able to cook, clean, and care for the baby by myself, since my husband had just started a new job and had to time off.
Fast forward to last weekend and I overhear a conversation going on between my sister and my brother. She was saying it was "selfish" of a mom to have a natural birth when anything could happen to the baby or the mom, and when c-sections were so safe and quick, and how she had never heard of a baby dying because the mom had a c-section. I was pissed. I think my descision to have my baby naturally was anything but selfish, and I think my sister is just ignorant to say that. I went through a lot to have my baby in what I consider to be the best way. It wasn't like I was at home alone giving birth in a bathtub. I was in a hospital with monitors on me and the baby, a nurse and my husband by my side and doctors checking in every hour or so. When my son was born, the doctor barely made it into the room before he crowned, but he was pretty busy with the lady next door that was screaming her head off. However, he did "catch" him and all went beautifully.
I think a c-section is a wonderful thing if it needs to be done, but I personally would rather have a baby naturally. If there was an emergency and my baby was in danger I would be screaming for them to cut me open, but to me there is no reason to do it just to save some pain. All the drugs they put into your ( and the baby's ) system can't be good for you or them. Every day there is a new recall on drugs. I want as little of that in me as possible.
So what do you think? Do you think natural birth moms are "selfish" ? Do you think c-sections have their place, but are over-used in our pain-free, instant gratification society? Or do you think c-sections are the bomb? Looking forward to a lot of different answers to this one, and going anon because the last time I asked a similar type question I was bombarded with private e-mails calling me a bitch, whore, and the like :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think NB is the best. C-sections are way over used and I think your sister is ignorant.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think how someone gives birth is none of anyone else's business and is not up for discussion or debate.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Well, I think that no matter how the baby enters the world..as long as it is healthy and well. I personally have had one natural birth and 2 medically necessary c-sections. I would have preffered to have them all natural..but it was what it was and I am just glad all three were healthy little bundles of joy. NO, I do NOT think a person wanting to have a natural birth is selfish..thats just ignorant to even say.Thats how our bodies are made...not only humans but animals too..so are animals selfish too when they give birth? LOL Like I said..its just ignorance. Don't let your sisters words get to ya...everyone has an opinion like everyone has...well..you know ;)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think she is whacked. Selfish to have a natural birth, really? She is the selfish one. C-sections IMO should never happen unless they are truly needed. Yeah, I think moms like her are the selfish ones.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• it may sound superficial but i would NEVER get a c section (unless baby's life was in danger) because i don't want a huge scar on my tummy or loose skin. call me vain but i'd take a vaginal any day. that's how our bodies are designed to have babies
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think you are right and your sister is wrong. She doesn't yet know what repeated c-sections will cause to her body later on, but women have been having babies naturally for centuries with no long-term bad effects. C-sections are wonderful when there is no other alternative, and in my opinion, that's the only time they should be used. Same is true for inductions and all the other stuff that is done more for convenience than for any other reason.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Your sister is trying to justify her c/s. Let me tell you something. I am a NICU nurse. We go to every single c/s including elective, scheduled term babies. There is a reason for this. Often the babies come out stunned and need resusitation (Oxygen, vigorous stimulation). Sometimes they just can't get themselves together and need to come to NICU and end up on oxygen and with IVs. We never, ever go to a healthy term baby vaginal delivery. I'm not saying that I ave seen a healthy baby die from a c/s, but they sure have a rougher time than the vaginal deliveries.

asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Whatever gets the baby her safest is most important. I myself had 2 vaginal births but had a need arisen, I would have been fine with a C-section. I'm not a fan of those who prefer to "have it over with" etc.. but I don't judge - it's their lives
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I didn't even think that they could do a c-section unless need to be. I wouldn't do it if I could help it. It may be easier in not feeling anything, but it is a much more healing time than having a vaginal
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Natural is natural for a reason. That's the way nature intended it to be. I don't understand how moms are selfish to her for having a natural birth when she said she wanted one and recommends it to everyone because "have it over with and not feel anything". Sounds a little hypocritical to me.
    I'll be honest, I've had 3 C sections too, but they were not by choice. My body DOES NOT contract and DOES NOT dialate. Seriously....my second pregnancy was my twin boys and I had to have a C Section at 37 1/2 weeks because they were 6lbs 1 oz and 7lbs 6oz and were doing my body damage. I couldn't walk, lay, sit, stand....it was all very painful. I didn't even contract or dialate AT ALL the whole time. I never was on bedrest or anything.
    Everyone's bodies are different. Everyone has to make their own choice, and hope it's a choice that's in the best interest for both mom and baby, but moreso baby :) lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2011