Looking for a new job, any tips?

I'm looking for a new part-time job because the one I have has extremely limited room for growth, doesn't pay enough, and is too far of a commute- and I've been with the company for too many years. It's not that I'm looking to expand that much- truthfully I'm only looking to be an administrative assistant while I'm still in college full time.

Anyway, haven't had to find a job in years- so besides looking at random websites online (and craigslist), any advice or tips on how to search for a new job?

Any and everything would be much appreciated, thanks!!

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• Stay with this job if your only going to quit for a real job once school is done. In todays economy and with the way employers are about new hires, your more likely to get the job you really want once school is done if you have a long term solid work history with your current company. It shows new potential employers that you are reliable and loyal.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You can go to different companies websites and see what openings they have. Talk to people you know, see if they know of any openings and are willing to put in a good word for you. If you go into a place look like you would for an interview when you pick it up. Always carry a general resume with you. When asked for a resume, you can make variations to your general one to better fit the job description. Good luck.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• to vbruno- i've been with this company for six years though and haven't gotten a raise in three- i take the bus for about an hour to get there, and usually only work four hour shifts now since our hours got cut- they admit i'm one of their best employees (used to be a manager before i went f/ full time to part time) but they don't pay me enough and it's not worth the headache...i get what you're saying though and that's why i haven't quit yet (b/c of the economy)...this job also has NOTHING to do w/ my future as an attorney, so i rather stick with something more professional that i also have experience in- such as administrative work, thanks for the advice

thx mrs. coop too
    lexi8622

Comment by lexi8622 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

Send me a message if you have any questions!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3½ year old son, and 2 year old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping Families Achieve Their Goals Since 1999!

Visit my website to get all the details.
    www.OurCEOMom.com

Get to know our team on Facebook: www.LikeInternetCEOMoms.com
    We are the largest group of Women working from Home online!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• www.workathomeunited.com/number1moms. It's not like all the other work-at-home jobs where you have to invest first, or have to put in all of your time. It's actually a work-from-home business opportunity in which you set your own hours, go at your own pace, and have more time to do other stuff. The earning potential is actually sky high, and it can build into a great business. Just check it out. It will for sure make a great part-time.
    Number.1.Mom

Answer by Number.1.Mom at 6:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Dress for the job you want, not for the job you just came from ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011