Does your toddler help pick up his/her toys?

There are times when my 23mo will help when he sees me picking up his toys, but he hardly ever does it when I ask him to! I don't really push the subject because he's got a short attention span and isn't even two yet, but am I only the one with this problem at this age? I'm not violating any child labor laws here LOL, just want my son to know if he's going to make a mess, he can be held accountable for cleaning it.

jspenny2705

Asked by jspenny2705 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL- Nope chores does not violate any child labor laws! :p If it did, we'd all be in trouble-lol He's at a good age to start learning to pick up & put away his toys. Of course he will need you to help & guide him. It will be a group effort until he's a little older. But dont let up on it mama, you want to raise a young man who's not a slob so his future wife will have less training & will thank you for all the work you put in! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• At 23 months do they really listen at all? Ha ha
    My son (who just turned 3) LOVES to clean up. That was accomplished by making it seem fun and by telling him he'd get a time out if he didn't help.
    Now he feels guilty if he doesn't help.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Make a game out of it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My oldest son..when he was a toddler...he would NOT pick up a toy to save his life! lol
    My daughter..the wonderful cooperative toddler that she is..is a little MISS TIDY and sings along with me and enjoys picking up her toys,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I don't pick up my kids toys, they do, even at that age. You do have to guide them, you can't just say "go pick up your toys" and expect them to do it. You need to say "okay, get the bear, put him away" and so on... But I have never picked up my kids toys for them, what does that show them except that mom will do it when they don't want to...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My 3 year old was helping pick up toys at 2.

You have to break it down piece by piece. They don't understand a broad "pick up toys". They need more specific. "pick up your baby and put it there" "pick up crayons and put them in that box"

Having a central location for each thing also helps. She has a toybox that only babies (stuffed, dolls, etc.) go in. She has a crate that only cars go in.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• we went to play group and at the end of play time they would sing the clean up song and even now my 4yo still ocassionally sings the song. there's aa bunch of different versions on youtube but it went something like clean up, clean up everybody clean up, everybody does their share, clean up, clean up everybody everywhere.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My son is 2, and he does better with more direction (telling him to pick up certain things--like 'find ALL the Legos and put them in the box'). He's also more likely to to do it if I say 'Let's pick up all the toys' or 'Help me pick up the toys' or try to make it fun by seeing if he'll find certain things (like for some reason the letter Z is always missing from his alphabet puzzle, so when he finds that we can work the puzzle and put the puzzle away after we're done). At this point I do usually help him pick up so he's not overwhelmed, but he has to help too. As he gets a little bigger, I'll expect him to do more of it or all of it himself. Every once in a while, he surprises me and just starts picking stuff up on his own saying 'it a mess!', but usually he's seems to like having all his toys around him. I'm trying to teach him to put things away when he's done throughout the day, but so far that isn't going that great. lol
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• my 22 month dd helps me pick up her toys shell pick them up by her self when ever i ask her to but my neice at that age would not clean up her own stuff so it all depends on the child
    luckygurl17

Answer by luckygurl17 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I do the pick up game with him, I even sing him the Barney song from my own childhood (Can't believe I still remember all the words LOL)
    jspenny2705

Comment by jspenny2705 (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2011