Why is it a big deal to him?

My birthday is this saturday. My boyfriends sons birthday is next tuesday. We have both of our kids this weekend but will not have them next week (we both have joint custody with our ex's) so I have decided to make dinner and a cake for his son on saturday instead of doing something for my birthday. I tried to explain to my BF that I would rather spend the night with him and our boys and doing a party for his son, but he said he feels bad that I don't want to do anything special for "me" that day.....????

logansmommy711

Asked by logansmommy711 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• GIRL - be happy you have a man sensitive to YOU and is putting YOU above all others - that is key to a healthy relationship. Do you know how many women would love to hear that? Appreciate that your man is so caring about your feelings, reinforce and reward that behavior so it continues in your relationship! Look at the poor mom yesterday who posted that her new husband doesn't give her the time of day on weekends because of step children's ball games....................you are blessed!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Just reassure him that you are completely happy with a night in with your boyz :) You are very lucky though to have a man that cares about your feelings though! Not all of us are that lucky LOL
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Im with you. The BF will get over his issue. B-days and partys are for kids. The last thing I want on my b-day is a reminder Im getting older.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Can you do something on Sunday for his son instead of Saturday? Maybe make lunch instead of dinner and then maybe go to a movie after? I wouldn't mind giving up my birthday either, but it's sweet that your BF is thinking about "your" day that much!
    SheIsMySunrise

Answer by SheIsMySunrise at 12:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Count your blessings you have such a great man! Talk to him and see if you can compromise.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Maybe he already has something planned to surprise you and your plans interfere with that? You could always compromise and do something for his son in the morning or early afternoon, then do something together for your b-day that evening.
    KWnavywife

Answer by KWnavywife at 12:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Enjoy it!!! not all husbands do that. I wished my husband did that for me
    morenarfr05

Answer by morenarfr05 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 2:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I feel the same way. You ARE blesses. Be happy with each moment you have with each other!
    MistyLuvs

Answer by MistyLuvs at 2:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Awww that is sweet that he is concerned about your feelings! I would tell him that you are fine with sharing your day and celebrating his son's birthday on Saturday. (maybe you could make the birthday cake to be for both of you?). You could ask your man for a 'rain check' and suggest the 2 of you celebrate your birthday on a 'child-free' weekend.

My son was born on my birthday, and I buy a bakery cake to celebrate the birthdays but other than that I have given him the day and we celebrate his birthday. My hubs takes me out on a 'birthday date'- where he will get a sitter (usually 1 of the grandmas) and then he will take me out somewhere nice for my birthday.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011