Do you follow after your own parents when you are parenting your children?

I find myself saying things I remember my mom saying to me. I just remember how happy and loved it made me feel when I was little, I want my son to feel the same way about his mama. I know not everyone has had loving and understanding parents so I was wondering if you did the same or if you try to steer away from that.

jspenny2705

Asked by jspenny2705 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I find myself saying things that my mom used to say, like "life is what you make it' or 'because I said so, b/c I'm the mom" - My mom passed away in 2001, so in ways I guess I say things in her memory.......Mirror mirror on the wall, I have become my Mother after all....
    Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I parent pretty closely to the way my parents did. All 5 of us are college graduates who never got into drugs/alcohol and have stable jobs or husbands with good, stable jobs - I think they did a great job! If my kids think I'm 1/2 as good a mom as I think my mom was/is, I'll be very happy.

Answer by missanc at 12:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I absolute parent different than my parents did. Completely different.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think I took the best from each of my parents. Teaching respect, having moral, values, etc. are not old fashioned, and should never go out of style. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I do the same as my parents. I always knew I could got to them with anything and I have a very close family. My DH on the other hand has gone in the complete opposite direction.  He didn't not grow up in a close house and he decided that he didn't want that for his children.  It is nice because my family is very close and my kids know that they can come to us with anything.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Iv said things I heard Mom say. Like If in the car and kids fight, if you dont stop right now Im going to stop the car or go back home. But for the most part No. I didnt follow after my folks way of bringing up my kids. I like to think I did a much better job.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• There are some things that I say that are the same. But for the most part, I refuse to use to parent through fear and belittling. My mom would fill my life with fears of threats that have left lasting scars. I try to model more after my grandmother, who as a grandmother was warm and loving.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• my parents were strict more my dad than my mom but I do follow them in a way which is good
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 12:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• exact opposite. my mother was abusive, physically and verbally. she would yell at me that i was worthless if i brought her a soda that wasn't cold enough. she screamed at both 10 year old me and my 5 year old brother when he accidentally broke the arm off a chair "i wish i had a gun so i could shoot myself in the head and leave you kids orphans. she punched me in the face 4 times and left bruises because i forgot to bring a letter home from school about a school dinner that was weeks away. she was a horrible, rotten mother. i will only give my daughter love and i will always be there for her. i'd never hurt her or call her the horrible names my mother called me. i tell her every day that she'll always have a real mom who'll love her no matter what and never hurt her
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I do a little like my parents did, but not all. I discipline the same way my mom did. I was never spanked and was taught hitting someone is not a way to command any sort of respect. In turn my own children do not get spanked and are being taught the same. I give my children as much as I can and more because I want my children to have more then I had, which is normal for each generation to do. I stay home though and go to every single event and make sure I am there for my kids no questions asked 110% of the time. We also have a more loving home with hugs, kisses and all that. My mom says it makes her jealous to see how loving my kids are with me. She & my step dad have never been with me.

Answer by gemgem at 12:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011