What do you think about paying kids for grades?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in

• I say whatever motivates them to do well in school is worth it, OF COURSE WITHIN REASON, and in my opinion this is within that range.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If it works to motivate them fine. If your kid is alread a straight A kid why pay them for good grades. Grandpa used to pay my kids for A's. Till my kids kept getting them and it got expensive.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• im not above bribing my kids.. if it gets them to work hard and bring home A's im all for it ..
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Guess I personally don't like it because it causes unnecessary sibling rivalry. (May be different for a single child). I had a friend in middle school whose parents did this. He had an older brother in high school who didn't make great grades. He made all A's. His brother got mad about it one day and shot him in the head. :( So, I guess it just has negative connotations for me.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It will work for the kids who want and can do well, I don't think it will do much for the ones who already don't care. And certainly won't make a struggling kid smarter.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• No, I won't be doing it for our kids.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I dont think of it as bribery, it's more about rewarding hard work/effort. My mom gives my kids $ for every A. (And a special prize for all "A's" ) I was fortunate that all 3 of my children strived for success, regardless of what G-Ma was paying them. This last quarter, my dau got all A's & for her prize, she wanted my mom to take her to Bath & Body to get mini hand sanitizers to take to school. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Money talks in my house. My kids get rewarded with money for alot of things, from chores to grades, to winning trophy's etc. They also get docked. I figure its teaching them about the real world and it is motivating to them.

Answer by gemgem at 12:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I don't and won't do it. I might take them for a treat on report card day, but paying for grades is not my thing. Besides, I couldn't afford my oldest's report card anyway.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• We don't do that with out kids. My kids have been taught from an early age that education is important and basically their job. We expect them to do the best of their ability everyday at school. Good grades are a reward for hard work. We tell them great job and to keep up the good work but we don't give then any other rewards for doing the right thing.

Anonymous