Is this an Example of that Transparent Government Obama Promised?

Obama Administration May be Least Transparent in U.S. History

“I'll make our government open and transparent so that anyone can ensure that our business is the people's business,” President Obama stated in 2008 campaign speech.No more secrecy. That is a commitment that I make to you as president"~ Barrack Hussein Obama

Despite espousing open government and transparency in campaign speeches, and more recently in a Presidential Memorandum, during the last year the Obama Administration increasingly said no to requests made under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). During the last year, the federal government’s 35 largest agencies received more requests under FOIA, but decreased their actual fulfillment by more than 12,400 over the previous year, according to the AP

The American Small Business League (ASBL) has experienced this reduction of transparency first-hand. Over the past two years, the ASBL has been forced to file 10 lawsuits in federal district court as a result of government refusal to release a wide variety of documents related to government contracting programs. The ASBL will continue to file lawsuits against the Obama Administration as it continues to withhold records from the public.

As an organization, the ASBL’s primary objective is to stop the diversion of as much as $200 billion a year in small business contracts to corporate giants. Since 2003, a series of federal investigations have uncovered billions of dollars a month in small business contracts to Fortune 500 corporations and other large businesses. Recent Obama Administration contracting data shows small business contracts went to corporate giants like Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman and General Dynamics. 

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have yet to see Obama really work with small business, truly small business, he is not hiding doing business with some of the largest companies in the world however. See GE. And as far as this article stating this ASBL rep supported and voted for Obama I find it hard to believe, he was against small business prior to the election. See over 250K tax. As far as transparency, I don't see how any citizen of any government could ever believe that the " leader " will be transparent. Governments are never transparent, and pretty much for Obama the opposite of everything he promised was the truth. See Obamacare waivers, Stimulus, 8% UE, job growth, better foreign affairs, and family dog.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• LOL Yeah. I'm guessing that's not what he wanted to get across then but it's probably what he wanted.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I don't know why big companies are even allowed to bid for some contracts.

I also don't know why overseas companies in places like China and Pakistan are eligible for them. We would see a huge increase in American manufacturing if the govt did one simple thing..only gave contracts to American owned businesses, using American employees and operating on American soil. Why not put those hundreds of billions of dollars into the American economy?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Transparent? Yeah, I've seen I-beams more transparent than this adminstration.

You know, there are some things that must remain secret for our protection - military things. But so much of what is being kept from us are things that could actually harm us if we don't know about them beforehand. This I find appalling.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2011