If your milk has started drying up, is there a way to get it going again? Was sick for awhile and was doing more bottles so milk production is down seriously but not totally gone.

dakotafriend

Asked by dakotafriend at 12:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes drink one or two beers, but be sure to pump for 4 hours after before feeding the baby again. It will jump start the milk supply.

Answer by gemgem at 12:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I need to know this too for when this baby is born incase I start drying up. I dried up with my second and don't want it to happen again
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Dump the bottles, put baby to breast. Beer works for some moms... you don't need to pump and dump for ONE and one is often fine. Dark beer.

If you don't like beer, there are loads of other galactagogues like fenugreek (3000 mg/day) or Mother's Milk Tea (3 cups/day)... find them at your health food store.

But none of those things helps if baby is not on the breast and off the bottle. Supply surge in 24 hours if you get in bed with baby and do nothing but nurse.

Drink water... 64 ounces/day to re-hydrate and give your body the raw material needed.

FYI: When you're sick is a vital time to nurse, because it gives baby the antibodies. If you were on antibiotics, that's OK. Have yet to meet one that's not safe!

If you were throwing up a lot... that would be a reason to be leery of nursing (don't want to mess the baby with that)!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Don't use bottles. Put baby to breast frequently. Take a few days of doing nothing but being with your baby, lots of skin-to-sking contact, lots of nursing. The more you nurse him the more that tells your body to up the production.
    Anonymous

• mommy5409, if you don't mind, what was your indication of drying up? I ask because often moms mistake supply regulation for a problem. The only real indicator of a supply issue is a lack of dipes. Not saying you erred; this is for the sake of anyone else reading.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Also, you can take fenugreek, I bought mine at my local GNC. Something else that helped me that gives the same effect as beer and it sounds weird, but pedialyte worked, lol. I drank it because it is all I had in my car once and I became so engourged! Don't know if it will work for you, but it did me :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If you are afraid to take it than ask your doctor first mine proscribed me to take it. Its called FENUGREEK. Its just an over the counter herb supplement. And my doctor recomended a couple of beers to relax. DONT GET DRUNK
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 12:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• gdiamante actually the reason I dried up was because I had an epi. and they told me I was leaking spinal fluid. I was in a lot of pain. I had to have a blood patch the next day which I had to lay flat on my back for 3 hours and I could feed my baby then half the time I had problems trying to feed cause I was in so much pain. I came home and the next day I had to go to the ER for another blood patch so my mom had to watch my baby she was 3 days old. I didn't have any milk pumped yet so of course my mom had to give her bottles while I was gone. So at 2 weeks I just started drying up if I tried pumping I only had 2 ounces in both breasts together and she was wanting more than that and that was all that I had. So if all goes well this time I want to continue to nurse this time around. I wish I had knowen what to do to continue breastfeeding whenI was drying up.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Gormeh Sabzi from your local Persian Restaurant . . . (it is made with fenugreek) . . . that always gave me more than enough in 24 hours.

If your baby needs bottle to get some milk, because your is gone, please try putting baby on for a while, and then pumping, pumping, pumping, to get your going again. It doesn't matter whether it is a cheap hand pump or the hospital one . . . you just need to stimulate 'em to produce again.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Oh, ouch with the epi! But two ounces is NORMAL pumping output. You were fine there; your medical professinals really fell down on the job in telling you what you needed to know; that pump output doesn't indicate supply but also that two ounces is normal max output. More is gravy.

I hate when that happens to moms. NOT putting you down... just the fact that you weren't given vital info, because you were fine.

Baby's need is 24 ounces per day. If you exclusively pump, you need to do it every two hours.... if you get two ounces each time you're covered for baby's need.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2011