Are you in favor of declaring war on Libya?

COMMENTARY | Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana suggested President Obama ask Congress for a full declaration of war should a no-fly zone be approved over Libya. The Arab League had a consensus regarding the implementation of keeping the air space over Libya free of Muammar Gadhafi's jets. He has been using his military might to bomb civilian targets in his country. Lugar touts the declaration of war as a step to involve Congress in the discussion of a no-fly zone.

"It is doubtful that U.S. interests would be served by imposing a no-fly zone over Libya. If the Obama Administration is contemplating this step, however, it should begin by seeking a declaration of war against Libya that would allow for a full Congressional debate on the issue," Lugar stated on his website.

When President Ronald Reagan decided to bomb Libya in retaliation for the bombing of a Berlin dance club, he consulted with Arab and European leaders first before doing anything. There was no declaration of war. Reagan only used the attack as a last resort after months of economic sanctions did nothing. Lugar was a Senator back in the Regan era as he was first elected in 1976.

Libya has only been under fire for just over a month and Lugar is ready to declare war against them? Libya hasn't attacked the United States directly and so far the uprising has stayed internal and within the borders of the North African nation.

Not only that, how is declaring war in our best interests if a simple no-fly zone is not? Regime change was allegedly in our best interests in 2003 when we invaded Iraq. Protecting innocent civilians without taking over a country should absolutely be in our best interests to save lives.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think we should have imposed a no-fly-zone long ago, when Free Libya was gaining the upper hand and Qadafi was on the way out. I think it could have given Free Libya the boost it needed to succeed in liberating the whole country. I worry that now Libya will descend into civil war, which no one wants, and which could last forever.

As for declaring war... I hadn't really given that much thought, because it seems very odd - as you say, Libya has not attacked the US. I don't know, I guess to me the difference is that a no-fly-zone's main goal would be to protect the people, whereas a declaration of war makes the situation more about open hostilities (though I do realize the actual situation on the ground may look very similar in a no-fly-zone as in a war).
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I believe the Senator is requesting the declaration of war so that congress can actually say "no" to a no-fly zone. Without a declaration of war, congress does not have a good way to stop Obama from implementing a no-fly zone.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 12:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Only if I can bitch and cry for the next few years that Obama started a war we can't afford and needs to be tried for war crimes.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I don't think the US will do this unilaterally. The UN got the formal request from the Arab League. If the UN chooses to impose it, then its up to UN peacekeeping forces to enforce it. I don't think the US military has the bandwidth to manage this on top of everything else.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Are you worried about this sweet? I imagine you must be. Are you going to vote for Obama again if he gets us in another war? Are you going to turn on him or just flip flop along with him?

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

That's alot of if's. Why so concerned with me? Would you like to answer the OP? or just throw stuff at me?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• yeah I thought the same thing YSK
    but don't worry, Obama has NO IDEA there's turmoil over there, he's golfing and speaking on salaries today.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Easy NO!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/14/obama-urged-seize-reins-crises-pile/

See? What crisis in Libya? Budget? We have to balance a budget? Earthquake?

He's more concerned with the " other " March Madness

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2011