How do I get my 11 year old up without a fight?

My 11 year old has an alarm clock in her room, but sometimes she forgets to set it. I set the alarm on my cell phone and I'll go in there and tell her it's time to get up and she just tells me to leave her alone and rolls back over and goes back to sleep. I will go back in there later and tell her it's time to get up again. She gets mad at me if I shake her a little bit. What's an easier way to get her up and having a better morning without all the arguing? Could I get some advice on this please, I don't know what to do anymore.

rogers_poohbear

Asked by rogers_poohbear at 9:18 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Open her door and just start doing something that makes a lot of noise. Vaccuum, turn on some music, use your hairdryer in the hallyway outside her room... lol... whatever you can think of. And let her know that if and when she can learn to set her alarm and get hersef up on her own, then she won't have to be annoyed by you waking her up anymore - the power is in her hands.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:22 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• i like the idea of making noise, your up anyway, if you want to go back to sleep, do it when she goes out the door. if you could do something to make her get up like turn the radio on across the room, or have her alam clock across the room, anything so she has to get up to turn it off across the room, once it goes off, you go right back in there to turn it back on!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would start pushing her bedtime up earlier. If she goes to bed at 9pm right now, then tell her she's going to bed at 8pm because apparently she's not getting enough sleep. When she starts getting up on time then go in 30 min, increments back to whatever her bedtime was to start with.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• A bullhorn. Seriously, if I had one I would use one to get my 12 1/2 year old up.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 9:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• lol I have the same problem..
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:53 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Bucket of Ice water. Worked for my aunt for years. She only has to threaten now. :)
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 11:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Your right that at 11 she should be responsible for getting herself out of bed. You could set her alarm clock time ahead of the actual time so that she won't know she is really "on time" when she believes she is running later. But there are a ton of "tricks" you could use. Do you want to try and make her responsible or do you want to try and make her get up earlier? Let her fail at getting up on time. Let her suffer the consequences of not getting up on time. She should have an alarm clock and she should get up with it. If you have to work and she needs to get up so that you can also be on time that changes the dynamic somewhat. Here is what I would do:
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• cont..I would, if I stayed at home, have a talk about her needing to get up with her alarm clock. I would explain it is her responsibility and not mine. The result may be she doesn't have time to brush her hair nicely or get all her school things together and she goes unprepared. Oh well. That is her choice. And if she misses the bus or gets to school late then she also has to stay in detention or whatever the school says for being tardy. Again, her choice. I would also talk to her about if she is late how it is not curteous to other family members so something some privledge will be taken away for two days. And for each day she is not ready by _______ to walk out the door then something else will be taken away for two days. She may have a very bare room and boring life for a few weeks.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:22 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Put the alarm clock fruther away from her bed so she physically has to get up to turn if off.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I used to work in a group home for teens (so this may not work for you) but we used to wake them up, if they did not get up the first time - they were given a warning that if they did not get up they would miss breakfast. They got one more chance and after that they suffered the natural consequences of missing breakfast. If the remained asleep and ended up missing school then they suffered the consequences of losing points and privileges.

You could work up a similar system - say if she misses or is late to school then she losesa privilege (TV, computer time, going out with firends, etc...)

Our system worked the kids rarely tried this more than twice.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 4:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008