Why do people take trips to gawk at the Amish?

I've never understood this... maybe because I've grown up around them and think nothing of it? I just don't understand why people will take vacations to Amish country and stand at their fences, take pictures and stare them like they are in a zoo.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Ugh! I hate that too! I used to work in a hotel and guest would ask me all the time where to find Amish people. I would ask tell them where the town was but would tell them there is nothing to do there, what are you going to do? Just stare? So ignorant!
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 12:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't dream of gawking at the fence. I would be too busy admiring the quilts.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Really? Wow. I would find that disrespectful if someone were doing that to me, so I wouldn't do it to someone else. Maybe the ppl who are taking the pictures think they are becoming educated about a way of life that interests them, but they are still going about it the wrong way.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It's a different culture, Kinda like going to another country. I've never gone, since I prefer an "exciting" vacation- lol, but I could see why some of the older folks would like a relaxing vacation, and some good old fashioned cooking :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You would not believe how many times I've heard about people doing this! It's a fun day trip to Amish country to buy their wares and oogle them. People come from all over to do it. The Amish never say anything to the tourists, but I find it disrespectful.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Hubs works with Amish and has on and off for years. The guys hubs works with says this group here does not mind the gawkers. They buy from them. Taking pictures is disrespectful if you ask me.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 12:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• We also have Mennonites and Pennsylvania Dutch around as well as Amish and when were out and about, you should see the out of towners stop and stare at them. Some will whip out their cameras and snap pictures and some ignoramouses will point and talk loudly about the way they look. I've even seen people go up to the little girls and ask them stupid questions like 'don't you wish you could dress like me?'.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It would be hard not to say something if I saw someone go up to a kid like that. Sounds like the gawkers are more aggressive where you are.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 12:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• while i have always wanted to go up to pensivania and stay in a b&b and stuff (just seems like a nice quiet place to go to get a break from the busy world, it would be great to just sit around in the quiet with a book or stroll through the woods), i dont think i could ever gawk at a person like they are an animal. that is so disrespectful! how rude!!
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think that going to gawk, and going to educate yourself are different things. My 8th grade field trip was a 10 day trip up the east coast ,and one of the stops was Intercourse, PA, an amish town. And the 25 kids in the group, did take some pictures, but mostly we met up with a family, who showed us around, told us about their life and told us it was ok to take some pictures.
    So i think going to see them, and learn is ok.. Treating them like exhibits or sideshow freaks, is really not nice.
    Some people's manners...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011