Is it okay to call a teacher if...

You notice that your child does not wnat to go to school anymore? My dd went from loving school to not wanting to go at all..It's been going on for some time now...

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• YES. I am a teacher, and I would want to know what was going on. I would want to team up with the child and the child's mother to find out what is at the root of the problem, and then I would want us all to work toegether to figure out what we could do about it. Maybe the other kids are picking on the child. Maybe the child is feeling stifled by high expectations with something s/he is having difficulty with. Maybe there is just something going on at home - a change, a loss, some other stress - that is coming out this way.

If I were the parent, of course, my fear would be offending the teacher, b/c maybe s/he would think I was trying to say s/he isn't a good taecher. This is, unfortunately, very possible, but if the teacher is decent, s/he should look beyond that and try to help solve the situation. If there is something about her/his personality or style that doesn't work for the child, another style should be tried!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes. I would go and ask if they have noticed anything going on.

Answer by gemgem at 12:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes, Call!! She may be getting bullied.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would definitely call. You can even talk to the principal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would do everything I could and talk to everyone invovled to try to find out why.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• in my book it is always ok to contact a teacher (mabey go to the school) if you think there is a problem.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 12:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would call.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 12:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• absolutely. call the teacher. she may be seeing something in the classroom to and be welcoming the chance to talk to you about it too.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011