Pulling out my hair

My daughter is 4 as of september 07 and she doesnt go to daycare since she wont take naps and she is very strong willed.i have done everything! spanking, time out, taking things away... I'm at teh end of my rope. Father isnt around so i'm n my own and my boyfriend is trying to help but it effects our relationship. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

sarajdare

Asked by sarajdare at 9:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Did the daycare say they would not take her because of those two things or are you assuming that she can't go because of these issues? If it's the daycare then find another one. Find one that is willing to work with you and your child. Not every child takes a nap. Normally, during nap time, those who won't or can't lay down they give them something quiet to do.

I assume her "strong will" is affecting your relationship with your BF? Always be consistent in everything. Do not give into her and keep your cool. She 4yrs old and finding out that she has choices, any time you can give her a choice let her make it. It will give her a sense of control over herself and may help things.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It sounds like she has been through so much for only being four. Her dad is not there, you ahve this boyfriend in her life that is trying to parent her, and she has a world of chaos. So of course it isn't going to work using spanking (which never does in my opinion). Set a consistant rountine for her from morning until the evening. Follow it. Faithfully. Consistancy is punishments even when you are drop dead tired. Have some fun activities planned for you and for her to do together. Your boyfriend shouldn't be the one to step in and play dad and do punishments. It will only make things worse. A part time preschool program where she doesn't take a nap, play dates, and a good diet plus lots of exercise.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:02 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Most kids don't nap at this age, they say most children will grow out of the nap at about 3.5 years to about 4. Is the day care not allowing her to come because she doesn't nap? if this is the case Iw ould find another daycare/preschool.
    matissesmom

Answer by matissesmom at 1:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• southerncharmes is right about naps and daycare. If I needed time to myself during the day, I would tell my children (at 3 - 4 yrs of age) that if they didn't want to take a nap, they had to play quietly in their room and could only come out if they had to go to the bathroom. I also made it clear to them that I would tell them when quiet time was over.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My 3 yr doesn't take naps most days either, and hasn't for almost a yr. But he does have to have quiet time every day. If he argues, I tell him he doesn't have to sleep, just look at some books or play quietly in his room. It helps a lot. I also try to do as many activities with him during the day as I can. When he's bored, that's when he acts up the most. We do simple crafts, colouring, look at books, puzzles. Just anything to keep him busy and entertained. It helps to tire him out too, which makes bedtime easier.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2008