I was thinking about

Adding a little garden in the front of house undernieth the living room windows. I dont k now anything about gardning. I dont want to hire anyone because its something i want to d my self. Can anyone help me out. Tell me what to buy and how do i get it started. What kind of lowers do I get. What is a bedding?

BUTTERFLY463

Asked by BUTTERFLY463 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I dig up the patch and make the dirt soft. Then I buy a big bag of miracle grow dirt and mix it in. Put in a lot of it, it's good dirt. Is it shady? If so, impatience are great. Pick out the flowers, then plant. Top the dirt with a good mulch. Put it on thickly and it will help keep the weeds out. Talk to someone at the garden store about what flowers to buy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• How much sun does the area get? Some plants like shade, some partial sun, some full sun. If you plant the wrong one it will not grow. My advice is to go to somewhere like Lowe's or Home Depot and ask them for recommendations for what will grow in your area in the amount of sun you get.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You make sure of the care of the flowers before you buy them. I would suggest if you want a garden every year to buy perenials. They aren't as pretty but they come back every year. Then throw in a few annuals for color. If you plant lots of greenery it won't look bad if your flowers don't make it. The greenery will cover the shallow spots. Watch for plants that keep growing. Even if you plant them in a designated area or a pot, seedlings will drop and you will have it all over your yard and never get rid of it.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 1:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You need to measure out where you want the flower bed. Then dig up any grass that is there, shake out all the soil to keep it in the bed, & then get rid of the grass. Then if the soil is not brown and easy to turn over you may have to add something to make it better to grow flowers in. For example, we have clay here and had to add stuff to the soil so flowers would grow. We went to the closest nursery and they told us what to use. Then you get flowers that will grow well there. It depends on whether you have shade or sun on that side of the house. Again, ask at a nursery for hardy plants that will do well in your location. Plant them and then top it off with an couple of inches of mulch for a nice appearance and to hold moisture for the plants. As far as "bedding" it's just the term for a flower bed, I think. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• a big mistake a lot of people make is only using fertilized soil. It will probably burn up your plant. Make sure you mix dirt with your potting soil.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 1:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• ohh if you get this black tarplike stuff at walmart you can lay it at the bottom of your flower bed and the weeds and grass will have a very hard time growing and it will be easy to get it ready every year. Someone help me out here. what is that black tarp stuff called.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 1:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Theres is a lot of sun that shines there, What about artificial flowers or do they not look that great. ANd do i necessarily have to dig up the dirt, can I just get some of those chippy looking things and pour it over the are of grass im going to be using.

BUTTERFLY463

Comment by BUTTERFLY463 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• The chippy stuff is mulch and grass will grow through it. Marigolds do well in sunny areas and are hardy. Artificial flowers are used sometimes if you are not too close to the street. They look OK from a distance, but real flowers are much nicer.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• What about color, How do i go about chosing the right color?
    BUTTERFLY463

Comment by BUTTERFLY463 (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• The right color of the flowers? Decide that on what would go nice with your house color. Go to a nursery and look around at the choices (or look at seed packets if you are going to use seeds).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011