I want to move, but where?

I'm sick of where we live now. No jobs, nothing for the kids to do, and just sick of the drama. We have a teenager and a stepson who is 11. We need somewhere kid-friendly and in the states. My dream is a place where there is plenty of open space but close to a major city. I guess I want the best of both worlds. Is there such a place and where is it!?

smartgal5275

Asked by smartgal5275 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Travel

• I've been hearing commercials for land in Tennessee, advertising wide open spaces. Dunno about the job market there, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Oklahoma has plenty of open space and big cities.

Answer by louise2 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Google "best places to live" and you will see some useful info, particularly the Money Magazine links.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Auburn, AL is a great place to live. It's not a "major" city, but it's big enough for plenty of shopping, food, and many conveniences of big city but small enough for the wide open spaces, like you described. Birmingham and Atlanta are about a 2 hour, Atlanta maybe a little further than that. Auburn has a great school system. The university is the biggest employer in the city, so I'm not sure about jobs. It is a college town, so on the down side fall weekends can get very crowded, but if you love football, it is a great place to be.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Honestly, sounds like my neck of the woods. It's not perfect here, but there's so little crime we don't even have a police force. Schools are good too. We're about an hour from the city (Pittsburgh) and there's lots of room (to much IMO, I like the city)... Lots of history & culture too... Unfortunately, we're a little behind the times though. If you wanna recycle you have to drive the stuff to the city yourself. But there are jobs. So, I guess it's a trade off.

Google Monongahela, PA

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Where does your heart tell you to go... and defiantly google "best places to live"....
    terep001

Answer by terep001 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• come to Chicago! You can manage without a car, great beaches, lots to do, job market is improving.

Send me a message if you have any questions!!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• chicago you would love it
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 11:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Good question!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2011