What are you experencies with counseling for kids?

Has counseling helped your child? I have a SD 11 who is just giving us so much trouble with school and her attitude. We did start counseling last yr she had 3 sessions then DH lost his job and insurance. We now have insurance back and he got his job back. Its not that shes a bad kid shes very loving and caring i think a lot of it has to do with not getting any attention from her mom (we have full custody) so she wants any attention from anyone good or bad. What are your experenices with counseling?

tomsjennabean

Asked by tomsjennabean at 1:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• It helped me more than it helped him. We only went a few times but he told us to set up a system with the teacher to make sure homework got done plus have a very structured weekly routine to keep him active and occupied. It worked wonderfully.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I had my two children, ages 6 and 8, in counseling for 8 months and didn't see any improvement. I just recently closed their sessions. It may work for your SD. It doesn't hurt to try.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My oldest teenage daughter was in counseling for my divorce with her dad. The courts suggested it, although I thought she didn't need it. Her dad thought she should. It ended up being an outlet for her to talk, but she always told me the counselor never helped her. My stepson whose 11 also needed counseling a year ago for his moms constant traveling for her job. The counselor was his moms counselor- not one specifically for kids. He only saw her 3 times and my husband had to go once and the counselor told him to spend more time with him in group settings with other kids his age and their dads. She never once suggested that his mom reduce her hours at work or for her to spend time with him more often. So in my mind, that was such a waste of time.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 1:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• the 3 sessions she had last yr didnt show any improvement (but then again it was only 3 sessions) we do have a very structured weekly/afterschool routine for her.
    afterschool all homework must be done right after school (last night she took a 30 min break and than ate dinner then did her chore and all hell broke loose trying to get her to finish her homework it was hell)also she has to get her assign.notebook signed by the teachers and us at night
    and its not like she has any problems she wants attention good or bad when she gets good attention i guess its not enough cause the next day she does something bad. I dont get and dont know what to do.
    I believe DH is gonna try the counseling again
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You also might want to test for a learning disability. If she's fighting you this much on her homework it could have more to do with that.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 1:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i think the school thing has more to do with me she was living with her mom till halfway through 3rd grade. Then came to live with me and her dad. I helped her a lot in 3rd grade basically did her homework for her cause i felt so bad for her. Then in 4th grade i kinda stepped back a little but still helped a lot (her 4th grade teacher said she doesnt see a learning disability just she needs to catch up) now in 5th grade she knows how to do the work but HATES homework and reading and bombs tests (all 3 of her teachers said no notice in learning disabilities either she just sees school as a social event. Her reading teacher also said if she would apply herself she would be out of the low reading group) she calls attention to herself all the time that the teachers have learned to ignore what she says cause everything is a lie
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011