Dinner guest etiquette?

We just started going to church and the pastor invited my husband and I to dinner...are we to assume its ok to bring out 6 year old with us? And what kind of thing should we bring to the hostess (the pastor's wife)? I don't know if the "rules" are different lol thanks for input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I would bring some flowers or maybe a bottle of sparkeling juice. Yes, it is okay to bring your 6 yo. My church is very small and informal and we are all close and NOT "proper" so I couldn't really hel;p yu out. He would laugh if I brought a hostess gift. LOL You can play it by ear. I wouldn't worry to much, but you can't go wrong with something small like sparkeling juice or flowers. Good luck, on dinner and the new church!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:32 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would call and make sure it is okay to bring the child. At the very least, you want to make sure they know how many people to expect so they are prepared with enough food and place settings. When you make taht phone call, you can ask what you could bring. You might offer to bring wine or a sparkling juice, a side dish, or a dessert. If they insist that you don't need to bring anything, just show up with some nice cut flowers.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Um you dont need a hostess gift,..unless you want to sugar coat your preachers realtionship,

Their not Saints, They just read from the bible like you and i do,

So a somthing that you would like to nibble on, after dinner, ...im sure though you wouldnt have to bring anything ...the preachers wife would always like a call if your stumped!

dont be a scared to call and ask what she wants you to bring for a pass around dish.
    ask her what their into,!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• First you should ask if you can bring the kids. Some dinners are adults only type things. I would usually bring a bottle of wine to a dinner, but sense it is a Pastor, that might not be a good idea. Unless you know that drink a little wine. Bring a bowtique of flower

Answer by louise2 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Ask your pastor if you should bring your child. No sense in trying to guess. He will probably say it's ok out of niceness, but I would even go as far as to ask if there will be other kids there. I personally would get a babysitter if my kid was going to be the only kid. I think it is very appropriate to bring a good gesture gift. Some kind of beverage, a small plant or flowers, or a dessert (nothing big) should be fine.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2008