Refusing to eat dinner

Hello,

How do I get my nearly 4 year-old to eat dinner? At what age do children begin liking their cooked meals? Also she wants to eat sweet things all the time. She ends up having bits and pieces of fruit, sausage, a little rice and bread until she goes into tantrum rage for more chocolate.
She also refuses anything with vegetables in it. All she wants is junk food and I'm trying hard to wean her off it. Btw she'll eat properly at preschool but not at home.
She's three but she'll be four next month.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• give her chocolate and treats only on occasion let her know she has to sit down with the family and eat with you if you don't give them the "junk" foods they will eat what they are offered my son was this way and we just stopped buying chips, soda and cookies and started having healthier things and he finally got it and now eats better and with the family
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You stop the junk food and poor eating by not offering the junk food. She WILL eat what's offered... the preschool proves it.

Yeah, it'll piss her off. That's fine. Our job is to be The Meanest Mommy In The World.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Just keep offering it to her and remember that you control the shopping cart. You don't need to have the sweets and chocolates in the house. If you do have them in the house, put them on a high shelf and limit how much you give to her.

Over time, she will start to eat more. If she has a fit, she is excused from the table until the next meal. She will eventually learn how to eat vegetables if you just keep trying and don't offer the sweet substitutes.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• No child has ever starved that had food in front of them. Give her healthy food choices and wait. She will eat.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 1:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Your the mom and what you says goes. Don't offer her junk food. Make the meal and tell her that is what is for dinner. If she is hungry enough then she'll eat. No child ever had anything serious happen to them by going without dinner. But make sure you tell her that dinner will only be for 20 min (or whatever you pick) after that she will not get anything else to eat. If she has a fit, tell her she can do that in her room. Just keep offering her healthy food and get the junk out of the house. Eventually she'll eat it, sneak veggies into the meals.

choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 1:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• if 4 yr old doesnt eat she gets no snacks (unless healthy ones) (even when she gets treat its something small unless a special occasion) If she doesnt eat dinner (what i make) to bad she doesnt eat (sometimes ill let her have toast if i know shes not feeling good) the only times she doesnt eat what i make is meatloaf night/burger night/ and taco night (which i try to do every 2 months) but she has to eat the meat veggies and side plus drink her milk before she gets junk.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 1:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Just remembered some good advice I read somewhere - you control the child's food choices, then let them control what they eat. So, offer healthy choices then let her pick. If DD truly doesn't like what we are having for dinner, then we offer a couple of other healthy options. But throw a fit and get junk? Um, that would not work in our house.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 1:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Hide the candy!! Even with it hidden, my dd eats terrible, but I would rather her eat a bowl of lucky charms with milk than candy or nothing. I feel for you, food is a constant battle here, and my dd will not eat at preschool, even when they made their own pizzas!  I always make her sit down to a plate of food, but she will start gagging herself, it's awful.

BandME

Answer by BandME at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My 4 year went through the same thing. She still does a little, I try to buy her stuff that I know she likes. I also give her pedasure to make sure that she is get all the vitamins and nutrients that she needs.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 5:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011