WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF HOMESCHOOLING?

This question goes out to all of the moms that homeschool their children: what are the advantages and do your children like it?

NubianQueen78

Asked by NubianQueen78 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You should check out some homeschooling groups. I personally would't reccomend it. My mom tried it out on me in middle school and I hated it BUT that was just my experience.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Well I think the biggest advantage and biggest disadvantage are the same. You are in control of your childs education which could be a very good thing or a very thing. Depends on the driver.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I taught school for 21 years. Now I am homeschooling my Down Syndrome child.-She is 17.
    I really like it because it is much less stress. I get to develop a relationship with my child that I could never have had, her being in school. We have religion all day in our lives..
    It has been a challenge taking over 24/7. I have had to get the discipline in order before I could really work with her...I have done a lot of reading on how to educate a Down Syndrome child..I can give her SO much more than the school ever could...We have established everyday routines so she knows what to expect...There are so many opportunities in the home to make lessons real and I take advantage of my kitchen, my backyard, other places outside the home .
    I have some freedom because I do not have to subscribe to a regular curriculum.
    The one on one is fantastic!!!...However you have to be disciplined and always have a Plan B in mind . Good luck!!!!
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 11:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think it is different for everyone. Some people find an advantage if their children struggle in traditional public schooling or have social issues that makes it hard for them to function in the larger school settings. I know it can make it easier on families that travel a lot or have parents with different work schedules so they can all contribute to the education and spend time together and make their own schedules.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I don't homeschool, so I can't answer that question, but here is a bump.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 2:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It really depends on what your kids' needs are. There would be no advantage to homeschooling mine, but a clear advantage to others.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Advantages and disadvantages like everything else. I depends on what YOU are looking for.
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 3:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2011