Is it too late to consider trying a vbac???

This is a really long story so I'll keep it short, I had an emergency c-section after 23 hours of really hard labor. I was devistated that I couldnt give birth to my son. Well now I have a 2nd c-section scheduled for 4/13/09, and I'm having 2nd thoughts. I don't want to go through the depression I went through the first time, and I just feel like I'm suppose to try. But what if trying causes 23 hours of labor and then an emergency c-section again?? Will I be more devistated then the first time?? I'm going crazy trying to figure this all out!!!

Luvey12

Asked by Luvey12 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You need to talk with your OB. Some OB's are comfortable letting their pt's try and have their baby vaginally and other's are not. You need to also talk with your OB about what your willing to try and do. Such as....if you are in labor for "so many hours" then you want to go ahead and have a C-Section, if you do not dilate within "so many hours", then you want to have a C-Section. The OB should also let you know what his limits are and what to expect.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:51 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• well talk to ur OB about it tell them what you want to do and how did you get it scheduled so soon? I have to wait for my scheduled day and i am 32 weeks along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Is your doc open to the idea of a V-BAC? Some docs don't ever want to try it, but maybe you can find one that is open to the possibility if your is not. And if your doc has a valid medical reason why a vaginal delivery isn't good, then go with the c-section. Remember, having a healthy baby and you being healthy to take care of your new little one are the most important things. How you give birth is not what makes you a good mother. Good luck!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• No my doctor doesnt no vbacs and neither does the hospital I go to, so I would have to go a new doc and a different hospital!!
    Luvey12

Answer by Luvey12 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Of course it isn't too late! There are many many success stories for V-BACs and you have every possibility of being successful too. You have to go into it know that there is a possibility of disappointment, but there is no reason why you can't try. I had to have an emergency C-section after 72 hours of hard labor and I was disappointed too. Please try to remember that there is nothing wrong with you for having a C-section. Modern medicine saved your baby and that is a blessing not a curse. Good luck to you!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:30 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I had three C-sections. I came home with three beautiful healthy baby girls! I am no less a Mother than any woman who gives birth naturally. Focus on the package...not the delivery!
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 11:36 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I was devistated that I couldnt give birth to my son.

Um.................not quite getting this part of the OP. You DID give birth to your son - right? He's not still IN there? Maybe I'm just a simple girl, but if the baby comes out, you gave birth. What about trying to get over yourself and concentrating on the end result?

As for switching doctors/hospitals - that's your right as a medical consumer. Having a doc that understands what you are trying for is important. But is it more important to have a vaginal birth or to have a healthy baby? I would say get a second opinion from a pro-VBAC doc and if they say, nope, going C-section, then just accept it, get ready for your new addition and concentrate on the positive.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Thank you all soo much.. I know it seems weird to think about the c-section in that way.. I did everything to not feel that way, and I'm totally over it now, just afraid of the future if it were to happen again. My only concern is a HEALTHY BABY!! I guess all I can do is get another opinion.

Thanks again!!
    Luvey12

Answer by Luvey12 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008