Toddler Vocab What is normal?

How many words does your 20 - 22 months old actually say and use???
Is it weird that my toddler probably uses over 200 words already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think it is weird every child is different. My oldest was speaking in full sentences and carrying on conversations by the time he was 2 years old. He was the only grand child and lived in a house with 7 adults for the first year of his life, so it is normal that he would talk early and know lots of words. My middle child didn't really speak at all until he was 3 and even then he didn't talk much. When he started school he didn't like to read and he was still very quiet. Funny thing is he reallly could read well and knew lots of words he just didn't like to talk much. With my 3rd child she spoke a lot when she was little although not as much as my oldest.

So I think it really depends on the child and the family.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It's normal. there is a wide range. My kids were like that too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It's not weird, but it's really good. Some kids only have a few words at 2 years old and some start speaking in sentances around 1. My own kids are on the slower side at first, but they catch up later. From what I have written down my oldest son had 11 words at 18 months old and about 80 words at 2 years old. My daughter had 37 words at 18 months old and more than I could count at 2 years old. But by 3 my son seemed far more advanced than my daughter academically.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I don't think it's weird at all, you should be quite proud. Every child is different and yours seems to be doing quite well. Keep up the good work!
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Not at all. Like everyone has said, all kids are different. I was just thinking earlier today that, it seems like there isn't a word my daughter doesn't know. (She'll be 2 on Friday.) She has conversations with us, with her toys, she picks up on new words in an instant. It's incredible!
    Bubbles318

Answer by Bubbles318 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2011